Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Kelly Campbell <ca...@channelpoint.com> on 2001/04/05 19:39:45 UTC

Documentation Format (was Re: Help wanted: more qualified develo pers)

What's wrong with Stylebook? Personally, I prefer Docbook. It's well
documented, used for many other documentation projects, and has alot of
resources going for it. But we've already got most of the websites in
stylebook, so I'm just wondering if it makes sense to do things two
different ways? I know stylebook is more web-oriented, but we shouldn't have
to maintain duplicate sets of documents just to have a printable version.

If we do standardize on Docbook, I don't think we need to define a small
subset. As I said before, Docbook is well documented (thanks Norm), and has
a standard set of stylesheets which support most of the structures (thanks
again Norm). If you are a newcomer to Docbook, I would suggest using Norm's
simplified dtd (perhaps this is the subset you are wanting Andy?) But I
don't think we should rule out using the full power of it when neccessary.

Links:
www.docbook.org
www.nwalsh.com

-Kelly

Re: Documentation Format (was Re: Help wanted: more qualified developers)

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
Kelly Campbell wrote:

> What's wrong with Stylebook? Personally, I prefer Docbook. It's well
> documented, used for many other documentation projects, and has alot
> of resources going for it. But we've already got most of the websites
> in stylebook, so I'm just wondering if it makes sense to do things two
> different ways? I know stylebook is more web-oriented, but we
> shouldn't have to maintain duplicate sets of documents just to have a
> printable version.

You can easily print web pages. Most browsers even have a print button.
;-))

Please keep the documentation format as simple as possible! I want to be
able to read it on a linux console (text only, no graphical user
interface).

BTW: The higher the learning curve for writing xml.apache.org
documentation is the lower is the chance I'll write some...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker

Star Trek Rollenspiel: http://www.uss-republic.de/
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi