Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/01/13 19:14:35 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Hello all.

Noel's been making a number of announcements about JIRA going live on Nagoya
[1].  Phoenix is already configured as a project and we've had numerous
conversations on the dev list on how we could really use such a tool for the
rest of Avalon.  So I'd like to see us adopt this ASAP.

I'm not sure about all the particulars on setting everything up (I'm sure
Noel could fill us in).  If I understand correctly, we can get our bugzilla
issues imported or we could just start from scratch.  We currently only have
three bugs listed [2].  I can see a good argument for either position; my
concern rests squarely on getting us up and running with this soon.

Additionally, since Phoenix is already has a JIRA project section, we need
to discuss how to organize Avalon.  Would we have separate project sections
for Framework, Excalibur, Cornerstone, Merlin, Fortress, etc.?  Or should we
have a single Avalon project with multiple components (such as Framework,
Excalibur, Cornerstone ...)?  In this latter case we could somehow fold
Phoenix's issues back into the Avalon project or leave it separate.  I'm
open for discussion on these matters.

Point is, let's get moving on this. :)

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira
[2] http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/reports.cgi?product=Avalon&links=1

Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Noel's been making a number of announcements about JIRA going live on Nagoya
> [1].  Phoenix is already configured as a project and we've had numerous
> conversations on the dev list on how we could really use such a tool for the
> rest of Avalon.  So I'd like to see us adopt this ASAP.

My understanding is that we have across-the-board agreement to move to
JIRA. A post to infrastructure to setup admin accounts is probably all
that is needed on the administrative side.

> I'm not sure about all the particulars on setting everything up (I'm sure
> Noel could fill us in).  If I understand correctly, we can get our bugzilla
> issues imported or we could just start from scratch.  We currently only have
> three bugs listed [2].  I can see a good argument for either position; my
> concern rests squarely on getting us up and running with this soon.

I'm not too worried about importing - in fact I would prefer starting
from scratch and we add the 3 bugzilla issues after we resolve how we
are going to structure things.

> Additionally, since Phoenix is already has a JIRA project section, we need
> to discuss how to organize Avalon.  Would we have separate project sections
> for Framework, Excalibur, Cornerstone, Merlin, Fortress, etc.?  Or should we
> have a single Avalon project with multiple components (such as Framework,
> Excalibur, Cornerstone ...)?  In this latter case we could somehow fold
> Phoenix's issues back into the Avalon project or leave it separate.  I'm
> open for discussion on these matters.

I understand that its possible to create project groups and that
basically a project is something that is tracked by version.  This would
suggest a lot of projects - but my feeling is that is something we will
get a better idea on as soon as we start playing around with the
available options.

> Point is, let's get moving on this. :)

+1

Do you want to post a request to infrastructure or shall I?

Stephen.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> If you want to give credit where it is due, Serge is the one who took
 >> the initiative to bring Jira to the ASF, and is probably
>> the most experienced Jira person we have here.
>
> Bah.  Thanks, I may have started it, but Noel has done much more work
> than I have.

Oh, the ambiguity...let's just give Serge, Noel, Jeff, Pier, Bob, and
everyone else who helped out in some way a big thumbs-up then :D (LSD
puts two thumbs up!)

>>> if every TLP has a dozen projects the jira will be difficult to
>>> navigate
>>
>> You don't need to see everything in Jira.  Just configure your
>> dashboard fot
>> the projects you want to track.  In the case of something like Avalon, if
>> there was a request to create Merlin, Frameworks and whatever, we could
>> create an Avalon program category, and then you could use the category
>> portlet to select the Avalon projects.
>
> You will want to create a separate project for each product you want to
> release.  The motivation for this is that JIRA can easily create
> changelogs and roadmaps based on versions (changelogs = issues assigned
> to a released version, roadmaps = issues assigned to an unreleased
> version).

sounds good. Let's do as the experts (or just anyone who read part of a
manual or has some experience if those experts object to being called
experts...) suggest :D

> JIRA can group these into a "project group" so you can restrict your
> view that way.
>
>> I expect that a permission scheme would be created for the Avalon
>> projects, with a group used to identify the project's participants.
>
> Yes, as Noel suggested, initially for Avalon I expect to have a single
> group and permission scheme that will be shared by all Avalon projects.

+1

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>IMHO just ask infrastructure@ (ie Noel :D) to create an Avalon project.
>
> Absolutely not.  I am the least experienced of the Jira admins.  About the
> only reason I got involved in the first place is because I am root on the
> server that houses it.  If you want to give credit where it is due, Serge is
> the one who took the initiative to bring Jira to the ASF, and is probably
> the most experienced Jira person we have here.

Bah.  Thanks, I may have started it, but Noel has done much more work
than I have.

>>if every TLP has a dozen projects the jira will be difficult to
>>navigate
>
> You don't need to see everything in Jira.  Just configure your dashboard fot
> the projects you want to track.  In the case of something like Avalon, if
> there was a request to create Merlin, Frameworks and whatever, we could
> create an Avalon program category, and then you could use the category
> portlet to select the Avalon projects.

You will want to create a separate project for each product you want to
release.  The motivation for this is that JIRA can easily create
changelogs and roadmaps based on versions (changelogs = issues assigned
to a released version, roadmaps = issues assigned to an unreleased version).

JIRA can group these into a "project group" so you can restrict your
view that way.

> I expect that a permission scheme would be created for the Avalon projects,
> with a group used to identify the project's participants.

Yes, as Noel suggested, initially for Avalon I expect to have a single
group and permission scheme that will be shared by all Avalon projects.

--
Serge Knystautas
President
p. 301.656.5501
e. sergek@lokitech.com

RE: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> IMHO just ask infrastructure@ (ie Noel :D) to create an Avalon project.

Absolutely not.  I am the least experienced of the Jira admins.  About the
only reason I got involved in the first place is because I am root on the
server that houses it.  If you want to give credit where it is due, Serge is
the one who took the initiative to bring Jira to the ASF, and is probably
the most experienced Jira person we have here.

> if every TLP has a dozen projects the jira will be difficult to
> navigate

You don't need to see everything in Jira.  Just configure your dashboard fot
the projects you want to track.  In the case of something like Avalon, if
there was a request to create Merlin, Frameworks and whatever, we could
create an Avalon program category, and then you could use the category
portlet to select the Avalon projects.

I expect that a permission scheme would be created for the Avalon projects,
with a group used to identify the project's participants.

	--- Noel

Re: [PROPOSAL] Adopting JIRA

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Noel's been making a number of announcements about JIRA going live on Nagoya
> [1].  Phoenix is already configured as a project and we've had numerous
> conversations on the dev list on how we could really use such a tool for the
> rest of Avalon.  So I'd like to see us adopt this ASAP.

+1. I am confident everyone agrees.

> I'm not sure about all the particulars on setting everything up (I'm sure
> Noel could fill us in).  If I understand correctly, we can get our bugzilla
> issues imported or we could just start from scratch.  We currently only have
> three bugs listed [2].  I can see a good argument for either position; my
> concern rests squarely on getting us up and running with this soon.
>
> Additionally, since Phoenix is already has a JIRA project section, we need
> to discuss how to organize Avalon.  Would we have separate project sections
> for Framework, Excalibur, Cornerstone, Merlin, Fortress, etc.?  Or should we
> have a single Avalon project with multiple components (such as Framework,
> Excalibur, Cornerstone ...)?  In this latter case we could somehow fold
> Phoenix's issues back into the Avalon project or leave it separate.  I'm
> open for discussion on these matters.

I feel we should start from scratch. IMHO just ask infrastructure@ (ie
Noel :D) to create an Avalon project. We can do the rest with components
(if every TLP has a dozen projects the jira will be difficult to
navigate, also user management for avalon's jira need not be granular).
I believe project admins can set up components themselves, so we just
need an Avalon entry in Jira with one or two admin accounts who can give
other users right to that project.

I don't know how account management is done for our jira, but I already
have one, since I had one at codehaus.

I don't care much for the phoenix issues. No-one is going to do anything
with them anyway. Just leave them where they are for now, and if we want
to do anything phoenix-wise we can think about it then.

> Point is, let's get moving on this. :)

yeah, go for it dude! Make sure they get you admin rights :D

- LSD