Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Dominique Pfister <do...@day.com> on 2009/04/07 10:23:57 UTC

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Hi Florent,

I was very busy lately, but now I finally found some time to look at
your sources.

Kind regards
Dominique

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@day.com>.
On Wednesday, April 8, 2009, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2009, at 14:43, David Nuescheler wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Given the fact that we are now looking into applying florents contributions,
> I would like to propose that we rename the "jcr-cmis" folder in sandbox
> to "chemistry". Thoughts?
>
> regards,
> david
>

> I'd suggest just creating a "chemistry"
> folder in the sandbox and keeping the
> "jcr-cmis" one until all the functionality in
>  jcr-cmis has been subsumed by Chemistry.

Sounds like am great plan to me.

Regards,
David

--
Visit: http://dev.day.com/

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@day.com>.
Hi All,

Given the fact that we are now looking into applying florents contributions,
I would like to propose that we rename the "jcr-cmis" folder in sandbox
to "chemistry". Thoughts?

regards,
david

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 28 Apr 2009, at 11:31, Dominique Pfister wrote:
> Just a quick thing I noticed while working on a JCR implementation of
> your API, in the methods that return collections, e.g.:
>
>    List<ObjectEntry> getChildren(String folderId, BaseType type,
>            String filter, boolean includeAllowableActions,
>            boolean includeRelationships, int maxItems, int skipCount,
>            String orderBy, boolean[] hasMoreItems);
>
> Instead of having this extra boolean-array parameter "hasMoreItems" in
> order to return more than one value from this method, don't you think
> it'd be more appropriate to create a new class for the return type,
> containing both the collection and this flag?

Yes, it would certainly be more object oriented. Currently the call
sequence is very C-like, because in the initial version I wanted to
have something lean without drowning into additional DTO classes. But
certainly, in a coming refactoring we'll provide a small class to wrap
whatever results are needed. There's another place where I used a
similar passing style, boolean contentCopied[] for the checkIn()
method. Here too I'll put a proper class to be OO.

> I did not see where this argument was actually used, so would it
> even be possible to entirely omit it?

It's not used yet but it's specified by the CMIS domain model
definition and the protocol bindings, so it'll get used eventually.

Keep in mind that this getChildren method is part of the low-level SPI
(which you have to implement for a new backend of course), in
actuality an application user will just see the Folder.getChildren()
method whose API is much simpler. I'm finishing up a cleaner
separation of API from SPI that I'll commit in our Mercurial this
afternoon, and anyway we'll talk about this more in Basel tomorrow I
hope.

Regards,
Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by Dominique Pfister <do...@day.com>.
Hi Florent,

Just a quick thing I noticed while working on a JCR implementation of
your API, in the methods that return collections, e.g.:

    List<ObjectEntry> getChildren(String folderId, BaseType type,
            String filter, boolean includeAllowableActions,
            boolean includeRelationships, int maxItems, int skipCount,
            String orderBy, boolean[] hasMoreItems);

Instead of having this extra boolean-array parameter "hasMoreItems" in
order to return more than one value from this method, don't you think
it'd be more appropriate to create a new class for the return type,
containing both the collection and this flag? I did not see where this

Re: Chemistry / CMIS status

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.