Posted to apreq-dev@httpd.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2003/01/08 06:07:15 UTC

1.1_rc4

The current cvs is rc4; please test that
it's OK:

  http://www.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc4.tar.gz

Assuming Sven Geisler OK's it, I'm +1
for releasing it as 1.1.

Thanks for all the help, folks!  It's
really great that we've now got OS X
support, and the Perl API is now segfault
free w/ 5.8 (fingers crossed :-).

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: 1.1_rc4

Posted by Sven Geisler <sg...@aeccom.com>.
Hi Joe,

I have no more segfaults after a few request (~ 1600) and multiple tries
to reproduce the known segfaults.

Do you mean with next version libapreq for mod_perl 2 or do you plan a
version 1.2?

I guess, I can suggest some ideas for the API after reviewing of my
code.

Sven.

Re: cvs tagged as v1_1 (was Re: 1.1_rc4)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Eli Marmor wrote:
[...]
> The only justification of requiring the request_rec is the pool.
> So we can move the code of the function to a sub-function (called
> "apr_request_new") and leave only the following in the original
> function:
[...]

you do need the pool variable because we now use that much cleaner way to
allocate memory in apreq-2.0. So instead of requiring request_rec, the API
could ask directly for the pool. That pool can be easily created by other
apps (not httpd) since apr will be already linked in.

So I suppose what you suggest (in this example) is to use only the really
needed elements in the API, rather than passing more app-specific objects,
which is the case with request_rec.

Re: cvs tagged as v1_1 (was Re: 1.1_rc4)

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.
Issac Goldstand wrote:

> Eli,
>   Could you elaborate a bit on exactly what you would consider to be
> high-level and what low-level?  Are you trying to say that we could make
> low-level parsers which could, for example, be plugged into an SMTP module
> for Apache to look at MIME encoded messages using the same "low-level" code
> as HTTP's multipart forms?  I hope I'm on the right track here, and if so, I
> like the idea.  But could you think of a good list of items to be put in the
> high-level and a list for the low-level?

I don't have an existing list, but the following example may clear my
idea:

Let's take apreq_request_new (I use the terminology of apreq-2):

The only justification of requiring the request_rec is the pool.
So we can move the code of the function to a sub-function (called
"apr_request_new") and leave only the following in the original
function:

apreq_request_t *apreq_request_new(request_rec *r)
{
    return apr_request_new(r->pool);
}

(some of the fields of request_rec, like args and the headers, will
have to be passed by the higher level functions to the lower level
ones, or - alternatively - to be added to apreq_request_t).

Of course, this is a simple example. Sometimes, it may be trickier.

Especially in cases like multipart POSTs, where the parsing and
handling is needed in APR (i.e. CGI, FastCGI, etc.), but the reading
of the block (or - more precisely - reading from the input filter) -
should be left to the higher level.

But it is still easier than the effort of porting to Apache-2; Contrary
to THAT effort, most of the work here is copy-paste...

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it

Re: cvs tagged as v1_1 (was Re: 1.1_rc4)

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
I'm thinking that while apreq is going to be difficult to get into the main
httpd source tree, perhaps we might find it easier to convince them to adopt
some of the functions (I think what Eli referred to as "low-level functions"
in a previous email) as part of the apr-utils package.  I could see it
fitting in there...

  Issac

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:

[...]

> > So, do it for *our* users instead.  At the very least it would
> > lead to a nice set of unit tests for apreq-2, since you'll have
> > to write those to prove it actually works.  And if it does work,
> > it will definitely go into *our* distribution.
>
> Relax ;-)
> *IF* I do it (spare time matters...), I will do it neither for them
> NOR for our users, but for me (well, I guess that my own benefit will
> be very minor in comparison with the benefit of all the users, but it
> is enough to justify such an effort).

Of course.  But what I'm trying to express to you is this:

     If you're arguing for a redesign of apreq, it is no longer
     compelling to say things like "do it this way, so project-X
     will incorporate it into their distribution".  BTDTGTTS.

     The case you need to make *here* is that such changes
     would benefit the apreq-2 distribution itself, because
     that's what *our* users will care about.

You could make a great start at that by just designing an
abstract environment for apreq_cookies to live in.  You basically
just need to develop abstractions for "bake" and "parse".  What
I would suggest is adding an "env" vtable to apreq_cookie:

  struct apreq_cookie_env_t {
        /* apreq_cookie to server header vtable */

        /* some function pointers */
        *parse;
        *bake;

        /* maybe a pool, etc */
  }

> I developed a layer that emulates the basic functionality of the
> filters, so simple modules can be tested/profiled standalone, without
> being attached to Apache (it is very ugly and works only with limited
> modules, so I'm afraid to publish source code...).

Very cool- keep it handy so we can bang on it here (eventually).

[...]

> In any case, I don't do anything before having a more up-to-date
> version of apreq-2 (my current one is from August).

OK.

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:

> It's not easy to convince people of something without first
> involving them in the discussion.  Stas tried; I tried.
> Maybe three's a charm.  I wish you the best of luck.

I know, I know...
And I've already experienced that.
In addition, as a lurker of that list, I've already witnessed several
cases of others (you mentioned one of them - "El-Kabong").

I just hope that it will be easier with APR/APR-UTIL.
Because apreq is not only based on APR/APR-UTIL, but does things that
APR/APR-UTIL must have, like parsing a parameters string.

Then, after integrating the lower level parts of apreq into APR, it
may be easier to discuss the integration of the higher parts into
httpd.

> If you're serious about making apreq-2 operate sans-httpd,
> by all means do it.  Just don't do it for apr/httpd's sake,
> because their lack of enthusiasm about apreq-2 will probably
> just frustrate you.  It sure frustrates me.
>
> So, do it for *our* users instead.  At the very least it would
> lead to a nice set of unit tests for apreq-2, since you'll have
> to write those to prove it actually works.  And if it does work,
> it will definitely go into *our* distribution.

Relax ;-)
*IF* I do it (spare time matters...), I will do it neither for them
NOR for our users, but for me (well, I guess that my own benefit will
be very minor in comparison with the benefit of all the users, but it
is enough to justify such an effort).

And I think not only about CGI-BIN authors or FastCGI, but also about
module authors:
I developed a layer that emulates the basic functionality of the
filters, so simple modules can be tested/profiled standalone, without
being attached to Apache (it is very ugly and works only with limited
modules, so I'm afraid to publish source code...).

Such modules can be linked to the lower level of apreq too, once it is
separated (well, I can also improve my filtering emulation...  but I
prefer this way...).

Ehhhh....  and something else:
I wrote that not only the internal structure will have to change, but
also the API;
After thinking about it a little more, I think that it can be done in
a way that will keep backward compatibility.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

the new 2.0 cvs rep is available

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Stas Bekman wrote:
> Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:
>>
>> [...]
>>

>>> We all agree that waiting for httpd people to give a grace is a
>>> complete waste of time. I suggest that we ask Brian Behlendorf to
>>> create the apreq-2.0 repository and start working there. It's
>>> important for preserving the history of changes. I see no reason why
>>> not to do it *now*. Having a repository doesn't mean having a
>>> production version of the code.
>>

>> Yes, agreed- that would be best.  Unfortunately, according to
>> /home/cvs/README, the first step in creating a new cvs repository is:
>>
>>   (a) Get permission from your PMC. The PMC must approve the addition
>>   of any repository and should be contacted through the normal means.
>>
>> That puts us back at square one, since (I think) our PMC is httpd.  I
>> haven't yet lowered my self-esteem enough to now beg them for a new
>> repository to begin our work.
>> If there's a way to make things happen within our existing repository,
>> that'd be a lot less painful for me to endure.  At least then, it's
>> just technical obstacles that we will face.
>

> Let me run this through the asf members list. I have no clue what's the
> status of the apreq project is. I thought it was a standalone project
> with its own pmc. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.
>
> I pretty much doubt anybody at httpd will be against creating a new
> apreq-2.0 rep. or is it httpd-apreq-2.0?

Thanks to Brian Behlendorf (and silence from the httpd pmc ;) we now have
a new shiny toy to play with: the httpd-apreq-2 cvs rep.

You want to apreq-cvs-subscribe@httpd.apache.org to see Joe play with it.
(that's the same list, the httpd-apreq commits go to).

Re: cvs tagged as v1_1 (was Re: 1.1_rc4)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>I don't see any reason why not to create a whole new rep, like all
>>other projects do. Unless you plan to have this one only temporary
>>till the destiny of apreq2 is cleared up.
>

> That's my plan: to make apreq-2/ (for now) a *temporary*
> location for apreq-2 development.  The directory structure I
> have in mind looks something like this:
>
>   apreq-2/
>
>         httpd/       (server support for apreq-2)
>
>         c/           (libapreq-2.X.X  ???)
>         perl/        (stuff that should be in mod_perl-2)

It'll be in mod_perl-2.0 *only* if apreq becomes a part of the core,
which I'm afraid won't happen. You can't do much if you aren't one of
them, so I've tried to "bribe" a few of them but in vain and I think
it's the best to forget about this option, move the project on as a
standalone one and provide the perl glue internally just like 1.0 did.

The building code can be rewritten to find httpd-2.0 and build after
httpd-2.0 has been built and optionally installed. It's definitely a bad
idea to keep apreq-2.0 as a patch to httpd-2.0 any longer.

>         tcl/         (...)
>         php/
>         python/
>         java/

+1 on the layout. An alternative layout could be:

core/
glue/
     perl
     php

because /c/ is really a core. and putting all languages extensions in
one dir will make it easy to 'make all' to build all extensions... just
an idea.

> The apreq-2 directory shouldn't have a Makefile.PL
> to worry about, and I don't plan to put anything
> into any of the "language" directories right now;
> just in httpd/.

But there is a problem with not doing that. If you distribute the
package on CPAN you need Makefile.PL to be in the top tree.

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

> Joe Schaefer wrote:
> [...]
> > Instead of making another repository on cvs.apache.org,
> > I'm going to create an apreq-2/ directory within our current
> > cvs, and then start dumping stuff into apreq-2/.
>
> That's probabably a bad idea, at least for a reason that if you have
> Makefile.PL in apreq-2 (later) the root dir's Makefile.PL will process
> the sub-dir's one as well.

Problem noted- thanks for pointing it out.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
[...]

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
I just tagged cvs as v1_1;  as far as I'm concerned 1.1 is
fait accompli.  I've updated my apache webpage accordingly;
the rest is up to Jim.

Instead of making another repository on cvs.apache.org,
I'm going to create an apreq-2/ directory within our current
cvs, and then start dumping stuff into apreq-2/. In the near
term, whatever temporary patches we need for httpd-2.0 (and
httpd-test) can just go into the existing patches/ directory.
Hopefully such patches won't be needed for *too* long.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: 1.1_rc4

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Thursday, January 9, 2003, at 02:23  PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

>>> Builds fine and passes all tests on Win32 ...
>>
>> On Mac OS X 10.2, too.
>
> Great!  Looks like we just need Jim to work his magic now.

Yeah, it's still not specifically tested on Mac OS X 10.1, but the
patch had worked for me there before, and fewer and fewer people will
be running 10.1 going forward, anyway. Ken was one of the last holdouts.

> Looks like somebody beat you to it on January 5 :-)

D'oh! That's what I get for not doing a cvs update, first!

Later,

David

david@wheeler.net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory@jabber.org

Re: 1.1_rc4

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net> writes:

> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 08:55  PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

[...]

> > Builds fine and passes all tests on Win32 ...
>
> On Mac OS X 10.2, too.

Great!  Looks like we just need Jim to work his magic now.

> However, since it's now unpacking into libapreq-1.1 instead of
> httpd-apreq-1.1, I submit the attached patch for INSTALL.MacOSX.

Looks like somebody beat you to it on January 5 :-)
To get the most up-to-date diff against cvs, type

  % cvs update
  % cvs diff

The rc4 version of INSTALL.MacOSX should cover the items
in your patch.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: 1.1_rc4

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@wheeler.net>.
On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 08:55  PM, Randy Kobes wrote:

> On 8 Jan 2003, Joe Schaefer wrote:
>
>> The current cvs is rc4; please test that
>> it's OK:
>>
>>   http://www.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc4.tar.gz
>>
>> Assuming Sven Geisler OK's it, I'm +1
>> for releasing it as 1.1.
>
> Builds fine and passes all tests on Win32 ...

On Mac OS X 10.2, too. However, since it's now unpacking into
libapreq-1.1 instead of httpd-apreq-1.1, I submit the attached patch
for INSTALL.MacOSX.

Regards,

Re: 1.1_rc4

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On 8 Jan 2003, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> The current cvs is rc4; please test that
> it's OK:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/~joes/libapreq-1.1_rc4.tar.gz
>
> Assuming Sven Geisler OK's it, I'm +1
> for releasing it as 1.1.

Builds fine and passes all tests on Win32 ...

--
best regards,
randy