Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Daniel Kluesing <dk...@bluekai.com> on 2010/02/01 23:30:41 UTC

RE: OOM with high KahaDB index time

Ran this through some paces, and it works much better. Thanks for the help!

Posted by rideallday <ni...@uvic.ca>.
That was it. Thanks!

I had to set to indexCacheSize = 100000 to get the performance I'm looking
for.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
ok - it looks like you might need to tune KahaDB - set the
indexCacheSize = 1000 - see http://activemq.apache.org/kahadb.html

cheers,

Rob
On 15 Feb 2010, at 18:46, rideallday wrote:

> Yes, topics are durable.
>
> Test case:
> 1. publish messages to queue, let several hundred thousand accumulate.
> 2. publish topics to queue, let several hundred thousand accumulate
> 3. begin consuming from queue.
> 4. begin consuming from topic.
>
> You should see a huge degrade in performance and a bunch of indexing
> messages once you start to consume from topic.
>

> rajdavies wrote:
>>
>> could you provide a test case ?
>>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Rob
>> On 11 Feb 2010, at 21:41, rideallday wrote:
>>

>>> Umm, actually I'm still seeing issues with high Index times for
>>> topics.
>>>
>>> My test case is:
>>>
>>> Send a huge amount of messages into the broker. Let several hundred
>>> thousand
>>> accumulate. Then start consumers and see how long it takes to drain

Posted by rideallday <ni...@uvic.ca>.
Yes, topics are durable.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Are you using Durable Topic Consumers ?

Posted by rideallday <ni...@uvic.ca>.
I can confirm that has resolved the issue I was seeing. Thanks Rob!

What's ETA for 5.4 or applying this fix in 5.3? I'll need an official stable
release to put into production.

Re: OOM with high KahaDB index time

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.
Good to know! - this was a silly error - When a consumer got so far
behind a producer so that the cache was invalidated, after every
acknowledgement of a message, a cursor would check to see if the index
was empty. To do that it would ask for a count of still outstanding
persistent messages. For a BTreeIndex - a count resulted in every
BTreeNode been paged into memory in the same transaction to be
counted. Its remarkable KahaDB was as fast as it was under the
circumstances :)