Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Stefan Zauchenberger <st...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/17 05:34:39 UTC

Two Perls?

Does anyone have any experience installing
SpamAssassin with a separate instance of Perl? Is
compiling/making the proudct with the correct
preceding perl path sufficient for correct setup?

Lastly, will the appropriate SpamAssassin perl module
be created and be accessible for other applications?

Please advise...anyone?

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

Re: Two Perls?

Posted by Bart Schaefer <sc...@zanshin.com>.
On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Stefan Zauchenberger wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience installing SpamAssassin with a separate
> instance of Perl?

Yes, I've built and installed SpamAssassin under perl 5.6.1 installed in a
user directory on a host that has perl 5.00503 as the "real" installation.
Works fine.

> Is compiling/making the proudct with the correct preceding perl path
> sufficient for correct setup?

Probably.  You may also need to assign a value for PREFIX when you run
Makefile.PL, e.g.:

    /path/to/private/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/path/to/private

I actually performed the install using the CPAN shell:

    o conf makepl_arg 'PREFIX=/path/to/private'
    test Mail::SpamAssassin
    install Mail::SpamAssassin

And then optionally:

    o conf makepl_arg ''

(to get rid of the setting if it's not needed for future CPANning).

> Lastly, will the appropriate SpamAssassin perl module be created and be
> accessible for other applications?

Yes, provided those other applications also run the "private" perl.