Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by tm...@moneynet.com on 2001/08/08 17:19:32 UTC

Why isn't message serializable in LoggingEvent?

Hi,

     Question, what was the rationale behind not serializing the "message"
field in the LoggingEvent? This would have been helpful so that we could
send the object remotely to a Log server and then use Renderers on the
server to format the message.

Thanks,
  - Tim

Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

Re: Why isn't message serializable in LoggingEvent?

Posted by Don Taylor <do...@yahoo.com>.
Because message is an Object and not all Objects are serializable.
Hence, they serialize the rendered message instead. I know you don't
want to do it this way, but the solution is to place the renderers on
the client, not the server. Is there any reason why the renderer can't
be placed on the client? (Other than it's harder to manage and
control?)

-- Don