Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Srinivasan Hariharan02 <Sr...@infosys.com> on 2016/03/15 13:52:39 UTC

Finding Cost of the query using Calcite

Hi,

I am trying to develop a standalone code to calculate the cost of the query using calcite Jdbc adapter. Do anyone guide that is it possible to retrieve the cost of the query if yes can you point to some examples.

Regards,
Srinivasan Hariharan
+91-9940395830

Re: Finding Cost of the query using Calcite

Posted by Michael Mior <mm...@uwaterloo.ca>.
Thanks for the pointer Julian. Unfortunately I haven't gotten this working
yet since I've been focusing on other things the past couple weeks. I
seemed to have tossed the WIP code I had for this. The cost entirely
depends on how you're making use of Calcite of course since the cost is
only relevant for a particular instance of a planner.

Assuming you want to use some sane defaults, you can create a
CalciteConnection and call prepareStatement which will use CalcitePrepare
to create a VolcanoPlanner instance. Within
CalcitePreparingStmt.prepareSql, you'll see the optimization happening.
>From there you'll have to get a reference to the root RelNode of the
optimized plan and then you can get the cost from the planner. There's a
fair bit of glue you need to hold it all together, but I think that's the
basic idea.

It would be great if you could share your progress on this!

Cheers,
--
Michael Mior
mmior@uwaterloo.ca