Posted to repository@apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/04 22:56:25 UTC

sources + javadocs

It's all the rage to deploy sources and javadocs to your repos nowadays.

Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?

Hen

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
>> repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
>> files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?
>
> You mean the current maven2 repo? I didn't realize sources and javadoc
> were being packed together in the archive, but if they are by all means
> go for it.
>
> A better strategy long term is to ask all our m2 based projects to
> deploy the sources and javadocs alongside the binaries. Or perhaps this
> can be added as a build plugin that is always executed from asf/pom.xml?

If you release using the release plugin then the sources and javadocs
are always deployed along with the official release.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

  -- Shakespeare

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:01:47 -0700
> From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: sources + javadocs
>
> On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> >                            Writing scripts to install stuff is easy ;
> >   writing stuff that cleans up is not so easy.
> >   First solve the not-so-easy part, before you solve the easy part.
>
> I thought the solution was supposed to be easy. Move it out of dist.

Hen,

  Ok, providing the stuff is signed.

> >   The idea for maven-repository was to have cleanup-hooks :
> >   a pointer from the artifact to the source in 'dist/' ;
> >   when the source goes out, the artifact can be removed.
> >   I haven't seen that idea gone into practice yet, despite
> >   good intentions and promises.
>
> Does the pointer even need to remain? The chief problem is that the
> ibiblio sync would delete it (I thought). So would need to stop the
> --delete if it's happening (or whatever the flag is).

  ?? ; there is no delete on ibiblio

> >   Take a look at java-repository ; what percentage of the stuff
> >   there is obsolete (given its also in archive.apache.org/dist) ?
>
> Two problems with this question:
>
> 1) Nothing in there is obsolete. It has a different use case than the
> rest of dist/.

  Hm, perhaps, up to a point ; there is lots of stuff that has been
  obsoleted by newer versions, many times over.

  Once upon a time it was decided to split stuff three ways:

  -- current production stuff sits in dist (and goes to mirrors)
  -- old stuff sits in archive
  -- new not-yet-production stuff sits in cvs

  Because the repositories sit in dist, contents is limited to
  'current production stuff'.

> 2) Nothing in there is in archive.apache.org/dist (afaik). One has jar
> files, the other tends to be zips/tar.gzs.

  No ; look at

    http://archive.apache.org/dist/java-repository/

  it's all there, rsynced from www.apache.org/dist without deletes.

> What's the cause of the need to move to archive - mirroring or disk
> location? If just mirroring, can we just filter out those directories
> from being mirrored? (no idea if Maven/Ant would want this, but I
> don't know of any current reason to mirror them).

  The archive.apache.org was invented to make it easier for people
  to throw stuff away in dist (don't think too much about it, there's
  always a copy on file). Keeping dist clean and lean is good for
  -- average downloaders browsing the ASF tree
  -- space and bandwidth requirements for mirrors
  -- ASF's bandwidth requirements ; countless clients downloading
     the entire 'dist'.

  I wasn't here when 'java-repository' was invented, and I don't
  know why it was a good idea to put in 'dist'.

  Another idea : I notice that most 'dist/TLP/' trees are kept clean.
  The PMC's don't pay much attention to what in the repositories.
  Maybe the PMC's would look after 'dist/TLP/repository' trees.

  We could easily (?) split up the  repostory tree, bringing them
  under the PMC's watchfull eyes. A script to hardlink or softlink
  a complete repository tree would be easy.

> Hen

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _
Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/~henkp/                   M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:58:11 -0700
> > From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> > To: repository@apache.org
> > Subject: Re: sources + javadocs

> > > Hen,
> > >
> > >   The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :
> > >
> > >     - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC
> >
> > Out of interest, are we meant to remove ones that weren't voted on?
>
>   I don't know too much about this rule. It is a general principle
>   for the ASF regarding '/dist/'.
>
> > >     - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
> > >     - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
> > >     - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
> > >       here completely also (excluding archiving)
> >
> > Which would be a bad thing from a user point of view (I assume the
> > rsync is deleting at ibiblio if we delete).
>
>   No. IIRC ibiblio offered a mirror under condition they wouldn't
>   have to delete.

Right, thought that was something they were hot on.

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 14:58:11 -0700
> From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: sources + javadocs
>
> On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> > On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:56:25 -0700
> > > From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> > > To: repository@apache.org
> > > Subject: sources + javadocs
> > >
> > > It's all the rage to deploy sources and javadocs to your repos nowadays.
> > >
> > > Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
> > > repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
> > > files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?
> >
> > Hen,
> >
> >   The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :
> >
> >     - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC
>
> Out of interest, are we meant to remove ones that weren't voted on?

  I don't know too much about this rule. It is a general principle
  for the ASF regarding '/dist/'.

> >     - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
> >     - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
> >     - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
> >       here completely also (excluding archiving)
>
> Which would be a bad thing from a user point of view (I assume the
> rsync is deleting at ibiblio if we delete).

  No. IIRC ibiblio offered a mirror under condition they wouldn't
  have to delete.

  Please take this point (automatic cleanup) very serious.

  The java-repository is a big mess and this shouldn't be repeated
  in the maven-repository. Writing scripts to install stuff is easy ;
  writing stuff that cleans up is not so easy.

  First solve the not-so-easy part, before you solve the easy part.

  The idea for maven-repository was to have cleanup-hooks :
  a pointer from the artifact to the source in 'dist/' ;
  when the source goes out, the artifact can be removed.
  I haven't seen that idea gone into practice yet, despite
  good intentions and promises.

  Take a look at java-repository ; what percentage of the stuff
  there is obsolete (given its also in archive.apache.org/dist) ?

> Hen

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 4/4/06, Henk P. Penning <he...@cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:56:25 -0700
> > From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> > To: repository@apache.org
> > Subject: sources + javadocs
> >
> > It's all the rage to deploy sources and javadocs to your repos nowadays.
> >
> > Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
> > repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
> > files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?
>
> Hen,
>
>   The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :
>
>     - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC

Out of interest, are we meant to remove ones that weren't voted on?

>     - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
>     - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
>     - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
>       here completely also (excluding archiving)

Which would be a bad thing from a user point of view (I assume the
rsync is deleting at ibiblio if we delete).

>     - no artifacts are allowed from projects under incubation
>     - make sure you have your maven settings correctly set to make
>       directories group writeable.
>
>   -- everything you generate from source 'dist/XXX', must be removed
>      /automatically/ from the repository if/when 'dist/XXX' is removed
>   -- every jar, zip, tar.gz etc must be signed.

Might have to chew a bit of bandwidth while I get the files locally so
I can sign them; otherwise, no prob.

>   Infrastructure frowns upon (forbids?) automatic deployment.
>   Check with them, and possibly the board.

Will do it for Commons/Jakarta first with a vote. If it seems
scriptable, maybe then try to hit more.

Hen

Re: sources + javadocs

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 13:56:25 -0700
> From: Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: sources + javadocs
>
> It's all the rage to deploy sources and javadocs to your repos nowadays.
>
> Anyone mind if I go ahead and see how much I can script in the current
> repos such that the sources and javadocs are pulled out of the .zip
> files in the archive and sucked over into the maven repo?

Hen,

  The rules in maven-repository/README.txt :

    - only deploy releases voted on by the PMC
    - sign all artifacts and POMs (currently, this is a manual step)
    - never deploy snapshots or development releases to this repository
    - ensure that if a release is deleted from /dist/, it is removed from
      here completely also (excluding archiving)
    - no artifacts are allowed from projects under incubation
    - make sure you have your maven settings correctly set to make
      directories group writeable.

  -- everything you generate from source 'dist/XXX', must be removed
     /automatically/ from the repository if/when 'dist/XXX' is removed
  -- every jar, zip, tar.gz etc must be signed.

  Infrastructure frowns upon (forbids?) automatic deployment.
  Check with them, and possibly the board.

> Hen

  HPP