Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <Ro...@freetocreate.org> on 2000/09/25 15:36:44 UTC

Use of Hashtable vs HashMap

RE: Use of Hashtable vs HashMap

Posted by Robert Leland <Ro...@freetocreate.org>.
> For Struts 1.0, should we go for a Java2 minimum requirement to run
> Struts-based applications?

  Yep you read my mind. Java 2 would be preferred ! If some people do vote
for
  1.1 compatibility it would be interesting to know how long they foresee
  needing it.

-Rob

Re: Use of Hashtable vs HashMap

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Robert Leland wrote:

Reading between the lines here :-), was this going to be a question
about why Hashtable is used instead of HashMap?  The answer is pretty
simple -- the ability to run on JDK 1.1 platforms.

A couple of months ago, I posed a question about dropping JDK 1.1
compatibility, especially in light of the fact that the new servlet 2.3
and JSP 1.2 specs require Java2.  There was some definite sentiment that
people wanted JDK 1.1 support to continue for a while.  What that meant
for Struts is that I couldn't use cool Java2 things in the basic
infrastructure -- only in particular custom tags where there was also a
JDK1.1 alternative.  (Note that you need Java2 to compile Struts
itself.)

In the time since that discussion, we've seen more and more
announcements of JDK 1.2 and/or 1.3 implementations for nearly every
platform of interest.  So, I'd like to pose the question again and see
how people feel now.

For Struts 1.0, should we go for a Java2 minimum requirement to run
Struts-based applications?

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat