Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by Aleksandar Vidakovic <al...@apache.org> on 2022/03/11 18:53:29 UTC

Conventional Commits...

Hi everyone,

... as you know we already have some rules in place to ensure that we have
a somewhat uniform process concerning pull requests etc. (e. g. PR title
starts with Jira issue number, squashing before merging is imperative etc.).

I would really like to go a step beyond that and try to "standardize" our
commit messages even more. What I mean with that can be seen here:
https://www.conventionalcommits.org/

The goal would be to create git messages that we can actually include in a
changelog (for release announcements, changelog file in git repo etc.)
without manually intervention (or at least not much). Those messages -
ideally - would also contain more context than just simple copy and pasting
the Github commit template, e. g. we could inform about backwards
incompatibilities, references to other PRs etc. etc. I think this would
require only minimal additional effort of each PR author.

Example: https://github.com/angular/angular/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md

Also opened a Jira ticket in case you want to comment there:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FINERACT-1527

Cheers,

Aleks

Re: Conventional Commits...

Posted by Ed Cable <ed...@mifos.org>.
+1 from my side. Thanks for driving on this aleks. it would be great to get
this standardization and automation in place.

Ed

--
*Ed Cable*
President/CEO, Mifos Initiative