Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by harsh patel <h....@gmail.com> on 2016/05/28 06:15:30 UTC

Reason behind asynchronous sampler

Hi,

I would like to know the philosophy behind not providing parallel execution
of sampler or controller in thread group.

I want to know this because I need controller which execute in parallel
with other controller. I know JMeter provide sampler to execute script
which can server the purpose. But in this case I need to write whole code
in script. Instead If JMeter provide asynchronous controller then i need to
write code for sampler only.

Please let me know the reason so that I can process further accordingly

--
Thanks & Regards
Harsh Patel

Re: Reason behind asynchronous sampler

Posted by Vladimir Sitnikov <si...@gmail.com>.

> I'm also looking into asynchronous/parallel requests. Without it, the load
> to the server is artificially smoothed out by JMeter test. For example, the
> browser sends 5 AJAX requests to retrieve a user's items. If JMeter test
> sends the 5 requests in serial, the server will never be hit by 5
> concurrent requests for the same user session and some concurrency problem
> may be missed.
>
> This makes sense.

Just in case, here are some previous rants on the subject:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jmeter-dev/201601.mbox/%3CCAB=Je-F__FCP-j8pOsSyw67SBA9qVtNpZLg6TJbA_-eDAzRJNA@mail.gmail.com%3E

Vladimir

Re: Reason behind asynchronous sampler

Posted by Wanjun Wang <wa...@us.ibm.com>.
I'm also looking into asynchronous/parallel requests.  Without it, the load
to the server is artificially smoothed out by JMeter test.  For example,
the browser sends 5 AJAX requests to retrieve a user's items.  If JMeter
test sends the 5 requests in serial, the server will never be hit by 5
concurrent requests for the same user session and some concurrency problem
may be missed.

Regards,
Wanjun Wang

From:	sebb <se...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@jmeter.apache.org
Date:	05/28/2016 07:31 AM
Subject:	Re: Reason behind asynchronous sampler

Note that as far as the server is concerned, for many (most?)
applications it does not matter whether the requests are generated by
a single JMeter thread running requests in parallel or multiple JMeter
threads.
If JMeter generates the same request rate, the server will be stressed
in a similar way.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by harsh patel <h....@gmail.com>.
Hi Philippe,