Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/09/03 04:15:31 UTC

This should be fun

http://rss.com.com/2100-1012_3-5069246.html
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.

RE: This should be fun

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
More rambling that no one asked for and is probably all not correct
anyway...

First, it's not even clear that this changes the format of a document at
all. One possibility is to build this in to an extension of the NTFS file
system. If this is so, the document would be protected only if it resides on
a Windows 2003 server. That's the way I read the article - it won't be
backwards compatible, and users will need both Windows 2003 and Office 2003
to use the feature. If implemented at the file system level, this would
allow the IRM to protect all kinds of files, such as audio, video, bitmaps,
non-Microsoft documents, etc. Without knowing any better, I strongly suspect
that the feature will be implemented at the file system level.

As I understand it, we would be prevented from deciphering an encoded
document which was not addressed to POI. In other words, we would be
prevented from deciphering a document to which the user running POI does not
have access rights. If POI is running on a non-windows environment, this may
mean that POI will have to authenticate with a Windows 2003 server in order
to read an enciphered document.

But we would not be prevented from a) recognizing that the document is not
available to us (i.e., the user running the java process which uses POI), b)
deciphering an encoded document which was meant to be accessible by POI or
c) creating a document which uses IRM to restrict the viewers of the
document.

It's really hard to speculate until Microsoft releases the specs and APIs
for dealing with the new service. But it's still fun to guess, even if for
no other reason than to have a good laugh at yourself when you review what
you wrote (for all the world to see).

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Re: This should be fun

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
I meant that sincerely.  It will be fun :-)

RE: This should be fun

Re: This should be fun

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.