Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2005/10/01 17:04:17 UTC

Re: compressing content

> Why is it suggested to use the following method for compressing the content
> when using mod_perl?
>
> SetHandler perl-script
> PerlHandler Apache::OutputChain Apache::GzipChain Apache::PassFile
> </Files>

that's information from something like 1998.  for apache 1.3 it's probably
better to use Apache::Filter + Apache::Compress or some other options like
Apache::Dynagzip or mod_gzip.

> Wouldn't be easier to use mod_deflate?

yes, provided you're using apache 2.0.

--Geoff

Re: compressing content

Posted by Alexander Charbonnet <al...@charbonnet.com>.
On Saturday 01 October 2005 10:04 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > Wouldn't be easier to use mod_deflate?
>
> yes, provided you're using apache 2.0.

mod_deflate doesn't support partial decompression, though, so rflushes stop
working.  That's the only disadvantage I can think of.