Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "kiran.bodigam" <ki...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/15 11:23:42 UTC

why we need the index information in a database ?

why we need the index information in a database is because it is clusterable.
In other words, we may have/need more than one instance of the SOLR engine
running.  This is very difficult if we are using the file system  We would
have to use a shared folder with each node in the cluster pointing to the
same directory.

Re: why we need the index information in a database ?

Posted by Gora Mohanty <go...@mimirtech.com>.
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM, kiran.bodigam <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> why we need the index information in a database is because it is clusterable.
> In other words, we may have/need more than one instance of the SOLR engine
> running.
[...]

Not sure if you are after multiple instances that replicate between
each other, or a solution that scales on demand. Both are possible:
Please see, e.g.,
  http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication
  http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud
If you could explain details of what you want, people might be
better able to advise you.

As people have pointed out, putting Solr's index into a database
makes no sense, and will almost certainly never be officially
supported.

Regards,
Gora