Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andy Glick <an...@acm.org> on 2005/09/07 17:12:26 UTC

[M2] Are there existing Maven conventions for managing projects which have JDK specific artifacts?

I was wondering if there are any existing Maven conventions for projects which must release JDK specific artifacts? I am not aware of any and I think that addressing the issue may lead us to rethink some policies, or possibly create new conventions.

I think that the need to release multiple JDK specific artifacts might legitimate arguments for the use of multiple source trees in a single project and/or subproject. That is a very different use case from the generated code case, which M2 currently supports. I do realize that part of the Maven "mission" is to encourage developers to rationalize their development/development management practices, and I do believe that preferring a single source tree per artifact is a best practice, but I'm not sure that it applies in the case of JDK specific releases. So, I think that potential solutions to the issues lead toward 2 differing approaches:

1) we could develop a new "template" or set of conventions for explicitly addressing JDK specific releases, as we have done for web apps and application server apps and the like

2) we could allow a real and reasonable use case to lead us to "dilute" some best practices and allow developers more "relaxed" policies to support the "new" use case, but that may allow them to turn around and with the "help" of the mechanisms provided for the relaxation of the policies violate the best practices that we are trying to encourage

I'm sure that there are other alternatives, I just can't seem to think of them now. Does anyone else think that this is a topic worth addressing? And if so, is this the right time to address it, or should I just post a record to the Maven confluence wiki and we can deal with it later?