Posted to dev@pig.apache.org by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/16 01:22:44 UTC

Where do we want to put non-java source files?

So with the jruby addition (which I'm putting a cherry on top of as we
speak!), there's going to be some source files in ruby. Given that we don't
currently have (afaik) any code in languages other than java, there isn't a
clear place to put this. The files are such that they can be packaged in
pig.jar and referenced via that (hooray for jruby), but we need a home for
them.

The ideal would be src/main/ruby/, and move all the java to src/main/java/,
but this seems like a pretty traumatic change at this point to accomodate
one file...even if we add some python and more ruby files, it doesn't seem
worth killing old patches.

We could also do src-ruby in the base dir and just go from there?

Thoughts?
Jon

Re: Where do we want to put non-java source files?

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mar 16, 2012, at 10:55 AM, Dmitriy Ryaboy wrote:

> You can put jruby into a maven-friendly location, though.

+1.

Alan.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Coveney <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bill Graham <bi...@gmail.com>.
Agreed, a and retracting my +1 on dir renaming. Braking all future patch
applications would be really bad.

billgraham@gmail.com going forward.*

Re: Where do we want to put non-java source files?

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Daniel Dai <da...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thejas Nair <th...@hortonworks.com>.