Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org> on 2018/08/09 14:48:06 UTC

Status of immutable metadata

Hi folks,

As some of you are aware I've been working on making the client
metadata immutable. What this means is that the client will only act
on metadata that reflects what is in zookeeper.

I've pretty much got all the code done for it. However, the last 2
days I've been sidetracked by a bug I saw while working on the
metadata.

https://github.com/apache/bookkeeper/issues/1591

It's a pretty serious bug. The client can report data as persisted
that then disappears. And moving to immutable metadata doesn't solve
it. Given that the bug is in the same area as metadata updates, we
should resolve it before I push the final metadata changes.

-Ivan