Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Brian Hannan <bh...@airflash.com> on 2000/10/17 01:24:01 UTC

SOAP and Schema

After reading the SOAP 1.1 spec I'm a little unclear as to whether or
not SOAP will permit schemaless types.  Well, I guess I'm really
concerned about two levels of "schemaless" operation.

The first level which I know SOAP supports is placing the type directly
into an element via "xsi:type".  As a result, all my SOAP param
information would be self describing and not require an explicit
separate schema file.

The second level which I'm uncertain of is having elements that have no
explicit type decl and no schema file.  For example, having
"<somecrap>23s6C *e 3-3 s</somecrap>" in a SOAP param with no schema
file.  Essentially SOAP would have to treat this is a blob that it
cannot look into.

Even if the 2nd case is possible, do current SOAP impls puke on it?  In
other words, do SOAP impls want explicit type information for every
param they deal with?

Thanks for the help.

--
Brian Hannan
Chief Admiral of Uncle Jam's Navy

"One nation under a groove, gettin' down just for the FUNK of it."