Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Po...@FT.com on 2003/08/04 10:51:43 UTC

Re: [VOTE] HttpClient and WebDAV methods will do no additional encodi ng

+1 from me.

Glad to hear 2.0 beta is out. Looking forward to testing it out.

- Portia

                      "Pill, Juergen"
                      <Juergen.Pill@soft        To:       slide-user@jakarta.apache.org, "'Slide Developers Mailing List'"
                      wareag.com>                <sl...@jakarta.apache.org>
                                                cc:
                      04/08/2003 07:11          Subject:  [VOTE] HttpClient and WebDAV methods will do no additional encodi ng
                      Please respond to
                      "Slide Users
                      Mailing List"

Hello,

We want to suggest a sematical interface change within the WebDAV method
implementation of the client API (org.apache.webdav.lib.methods.xxxMethod).

Currently some of those methods do url-encoding (with utf-8) some do not.
The basis of those classes is the HttpClient which expects all URLs already
encoded, e.g. does no extra URL encoding.

We suggest implementing the same behavior (no extra URL encoding) in the
WebDAV API layer too.

Reasons:

    * consistency - if all the existing methods expect already encoded
      paths, then users will expect it to work this way.
    * preventing stupid bugs by users - imagine a case where a library
      user does a HeadMethod request (already encoded), and then
      discovers to their suprise that they cannot pass the exact same
      URL to PropFindMethod, but must _decode_ the URL before passing it.
    * import confusion - if you import the "GetMethod" from
      webdavclient, rather than from httpclient, it is impossible to
      tell except by looking back at your import statement whether the
      URL should be encoded or not.  I've tripped over this one.
    * full URLs vs. partial paths - With the 2.0 release of HttpClient,
      it is possible to pass either a full URLto a XxxMethod
      constructor, or to set the HostConfiguration on HttpClient and
      pass a server relative path to the XxxxMethod constructor.  I
      originally tripped over a problem because I was passing full URLs
      to the PropFindMethod(), only to discover that
      "http://localhost:8080/" was getting converted to
      "http%3A//localhost%3A8080/" and then failing.

Please vote:

Modify the WebDAV client API in a way that no additional encoding is taking
place. The calling layer will (need to) do the necessary encoding.
 [ ] +1.  I agree with the change.
 [ ] +0.  I don't care.
 [ ] -1.  I don't agree, because:

Best regards,

Juergen

This email may contain confidential material. If you were not an
intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies.