Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Ranjith Kodikara <ra...@dmsswt.com> on 2002/08/19 13:26:15 UTC

Can I update a remote database with XML ?

My customer has a requirement like this..
My customer has a central database.. and there are remote locations of them. Every remote location has a database and they need to update the database in central location. Now every evening their central location imports data from remote locations. But there is no one in the central location to import data from remote locations in future. Then they need to run a procedure to update the central database by a person in the remote location at the end of the day to update transactions of the remote databse for the particular day to central location.
I know that data can be pulled with xml from a remote location, but I don't know whether we can push that xml to another location.
Please help me on this and tell me whether this is possible. If possible tell me how can I do it..
-Kodikara from Sri Lanka

Re: Can I update a remote database with XML ?

Posted by Rod Farmer <ra...@cs.mu.OZ.AU>.
In the replies to you email the following information was given

apache ---> webDAV

and of course Message Oriented Middleware - so with a simple search on google
you would have found at least some of the following examples that I personally
know of (god knows how many others there are)

IBM MQ series
QX
Java Messaging API

etc....

So my advice is, go to APache and look around. Lot' of cool stuff to read.
Go to Google, Sun or IBM and have a search/read as well.

Good luck

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 08:49:28AM +0600, Ranjith Kodikara wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Thanks very much for your replies, and your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> I have got two replies for my message, but unfortunately I cant understand what are those technologies.
> What is tomcat WebDAV? Can you send me some links - urls - to find details, on that. Also I don't know what is Message Oriented Middleware ?
>
> I would be grateful if you can reply me again?
>
> -Kodikara from Sri Lanka

++ Rod Farmer
++ Dept of Comp.Sc and Soft Eng
++ The University of Melbourne, Australia
++ 207 Bouverie Street
++ Parkville, VIC. 3052
++ Australia

## Email: raf@cs.mu.oz.au
## Tel: +61 3 8344 9140

Re: Can I update a remote database with XML ?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Huh ?
As returned by the first search result of http://www.google.com/ for
each of the words:

WebDAV: 		http://www.webdav.org/
	(basically an extension of http to support uploads with metadata)
Tomcat:		http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
	(basically, a fancy, java-based, web-server, includes a WebDAV server)

As of Message Oriented Middleware, there seems to be at least 5 websites
that have exactly this title.

Paul

Posted by Seetharam Misro <se...@geometricsoftware.com>.
>>I know that data can be pulled with xml from a remote location, but I
don't know whether we can push that xml to another location.
Hi,
  I guess you can upload xml files too. Have a look at 'Microsoft.XMLHttp'
and how you can send xml files to a server.
Also running a script on the server should be very much possible by old ASP.

for more info serch in google for 'ASP upload xml files to server':
Some links I got from there:
http://www.developerfusion.com/show/1615/
http://www.stardeveloper.com/articles/042501-1.shtml

Hope this helps.

-seetharam
(Pune, India)

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.

Posted by Russell White <ru...@yahoo.com>.
Three words,

Message Oriented Middleware

WR
Russ

Posted by wagner <ni...@pingtec.de>.
Hello Kodikara,

it would help if you could tell a little bit about the database system
used by your customer, os, kind of programm used above the database ...

Regards

Niels