Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andrey Repin <an...@freemail.ru> on 2009/04/08 15:08:05 UTC

Passing additional parameters to svn diff

Greetings, All!

Just ran into this non-trivial topic once again.

<stderr>:svn diff -x -b -I "\$Id.*?\$" --
svn: invalid option character: I
Type 'svn help' for usage.

However,
svn diff -x "-b -I \"\$Id.*?\$\"" --
works.

I think there could be easier way to pass additional parameters than quoting
(and incidentally escaping) them.
Like, everything from -x to -- passed to the external diff-cmd as-is (thus
making the -x switch the latest one before URL's/paths)

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

Re: Passing additional parameters to svn diff

Posted by Olivier Sannier <ob...@free.fr>.
Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, All!
>
> Just ran into this non-trivial topic once again.
>
> <stderr>:svn diff -x -b -I "\$Id.*?\$" --
> svn: invalid option character: I
> Type 'svn help' for usage.
>
> However,
> svn diff -x "-b -I \"\$Id.*?\$\"" --
> works.
>
> I think there could be easier way to pass additional parameters than quoting
> (and incidentally escaping) them.
> Like, everything from -x to -- passed to the external diff-cmd as-is (thus
> making the -x switch the latest one before URL's/paths)

You can also repeat the "-x" switch for all the options you want to
transmit:

svn diff -x -b -x -I "\$Id.*?\$"

But I agree with you, there should be a more convenient way to do this.