Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Kenneth P. Turvey" <kt...@squeakydolphin.com> on 2006/03/12 08:29:22 UTC

Easy get started howto

Re: Easy get started howto

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com> writes:
> > Bill, I didn't realize your book was under an open license.  If you
> > want to come up with a patch for trunk/www/links.html in the
> > Subversion tree, indicating this in whatever way you feel is most
> > appropriate and linking to the Right Place, that'd be fine...
>
> A patch is attached.

r18906, thanks.  The live website should auto-update within an hour.

-Karl

--
www.collab.net  <>  CollabNet  |  Distributed Development On Demand

Re: Easy get started howto

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.
On Mar 13, 2006, at 4:38 PM, kfogel@collab.net wrote:

> William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com> writes:

>>> http://www.phptr.com/articles/article.asp?p=408888&seqNum=9
>>
>> You can actually download the entire book referenced above as a PDF.
>> It was released under an open content license, just like the O'Reilly
>> book.  There's a link to the PDF from my website:
>> www.williamnagel.net/svn.php (Scroll down to the "Welcome" article)
>
> Bill, I didn't realize your book was under an open license.  If you
> want to come up with a patch for trunk/www/links.html in the
> Subversion tree, indicating this in whatever way you feel is most
> appropriate and linking to the Right Place, that'd be fine...

A patch is attached.

-Bill

Re: Easy get started howto

Posted by William Nagel <bi...@stagelogic.com>.

Re: Easy get started howto

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Kenneth P. Turvey <kt...@squeakydolphin.com> wrote:

> I have a friend who is a part-time VB developer (full-time zoo keeper) who
> is unfamiliar with any version control software.  I recommended he use
> subversion and not worry about the complex details until he needs them.  I
> don't think he'll take my advice without a very simple how-to on getting
> started using a local repository for simple, small projects.  I would like
> to point him to such a how-to.  I'm sure he would find it indispensable,
> but without a step by step how-to I don't think he'll give it a chance.
>
> Is there such a how-to online somewhere?  In particular is there a windows
> centric how-to?  I use Linux and I'm not sure how the command lines
> translate when using subversion so I'm not confident my help is what he
> needs.

http://www.phptr.com/articles/article.asp?p=408888&seqNum=9
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/svn/
http://svnbook.org/

As far as Windows-centric, the concepts are all the same and the
command line client is identical.  Only difference is file path syntax
and your scripting options.   Being a VB developer, he'll probably be
most comfortable using the SVN COM bindings/objects for writing his
own code to interact w/ SVN.

Re: Easy get started howto

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Res Pons <po...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at the Subversion quick start in the .pdf manual.  Subversion is
> easy to set up on a Linux server. Heck! If I did it anyone can :)  But it's
> a lot of work, in the sense that it's time consuming, downloading the files,
> porting them over in my case from windows to the linux server, making sure
> to run them in a specific order, setting admin files etc.

Huh?  Most linux distros have pre-built packages that install in about
30 seconds.  There was no porting, no running of things in a specific
order.

> You can download the windows version and set it up locally but that may
> defeat the purpose of a repository unless it's on a server which gets backed
> up nightly?  If you want something easier look into VSS/Source Safe but you
> still have to install a SQL server.

VSS does not require SQL Server.  VSS is also positively ancient and
riddled with problems, the largest being the inevitable database
corruption.  The 15 minutes it takes to set up Subversion is a
miniscule price to pay for the peace of mind it provides over VSS.

RE: Easy get started howto