Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/13 06:27:20 UTC

Roller Mobile editing interface for bloggers [Proposal]

Hi Devs,

I have been researching on the mobile browser detection and got followings
as the possible options.

1) Using the "User Agent" in the cookies and then match with the available
mobile devices in the database (We need to have the known popular mobile
user agents in the database.) or this may be a regex match with
possible occurring string patterns in mobile devices.

I studied how this has been implemented in wordpress and Joomla , They have
used almost identical scripts with RegEx matches.So this option is widely
used in the practice.

I looked at the code of popular wordpress plugins mobile press[1] and
WP-mobile detector[2] and how it is handled in Joomla templates [3].

2) Next option is to use a web service so we are bit off from the headache
of updating the Mobile Browser agent data base or list.But need to evaluate
the reliability in long term.

In most of the implementations they use Desktop as default (unless cookie is
set not to)  and then switch to mobile if proven  by detection it is a
mobile device.

So far the option 1 has been promising and major devices are covered.But may
need to update if new mobile user agents are added to the mobile world.

[1]http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/mobilepress/
[2]http://websitez.com/wordpress-mobile/?cl=adm
[3]http://pastebin.com/ZGUjLjYw

--
Shelan Perera

Home: http://www.shelan.org
Blog   : http://www.shelanlk.com
Twitter: shelan
skype  :shelan.perera
gtalk   :shelanrc

 I am the master of my fate:
 I am the captain of my soul.
         *invictus*

--
Shelan Perera

Home: http://www.shelan.org
Blog   : http://www.shelanlk.com
Twitter: shelan
skype  :shelan.perera
gtalk   :shelanrc

 I am the master of my fate:
 I am the captain of my soul.
         *invictus*

RE: Roller Mobile editing interface for bloggers [Proposal]

Posted by Nicolas Muller <n....@nouvellemarque.com>.
Hello,

I am working too about a mobile website with roller. These are my ideas !

1) Create a group of news pages dedicated for mobile into an existing blog.
It is powerful roller function to be able to create pages (drupal can do it,
wordpress not). Associated these pages with a new domain (m.mydomain.com for
example).
You could do create a new blog and display information through planet. It is
possible but a little hard to do

2) Use DetectMobileBrowser.com from this tutorial to switch from your normal
site to the mobile one.
http://mobile.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mobile-web-apps/mobile-browser-detectio
n/

3) USE JQUERY MOBILE :) Forget other libraries.
It is easy easy in one hour with doc to have a blog running with mobile
templates thank to jqueymobile

Nota bene : A major point will be to have a way to detect mobile from vm
template.
In order to reduce page weight. "Display:none" with css is not good for
mobile design.
It is not necessary to load hidden data. User experience is wrong with it.
Another idea would be to add this info into theme.xml

I will publish a code source to have this information into vm template. I
have to do it

--
Shelan Perera

Home: http://www.shelan.org
Blog   : http://www.shelanlk.com
Twitter: shelan
skype  :shelan.perera
gtalk   :shelanrc

 I am the master of my fate:
 I am the captain of my soul.
         *invictus*

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM, shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Nicolas Muller <n.muller@nouvellemarque.com
>> I am working too about a mobile website with roller. These are my ideas!
>>
>> 1) Create a group of news pages dedicated for mobile into an existing blog.
>> It is powerful roller function to be able to create pages (drupal can do it,
>> wordpress not). Associated these pages with a new domain (m.mydomain.comfor
>> example). You could do create a new blog and display information through planet. It
>> is possible but a little hard to do

Interesting idea. Do I understand you correctly? Instead of creating a
mobile theme for each blog, you propose to create an aggregation of
all blogs on the site using Roller's built-in planet aggregator?

That is not a bad idea, but I would still like to see Roller have the
ability to provide a separate mobile theme for each blog.

>> 2) Use DetectMobileBrowser.com from this tutorial to switch from your
>> normal site to the mobile one.

That appears to be a client-side technology, useful for directing a
web browser to the mobile version of a weblog. It's available for use
under public domain license, so we could consider using it in Roller.

>> 3) USE JQUERY MOBILE :) Forget other libraries.
>> It is easy easy in one hour with doc to have a blog running with mobile
>> templates thank to jqueymobile

JQuery does rock, but I'd like theme authors to be able to use
whatever JavaScript libraries they want -- and not be forced to use
JQuery. However, I believe Shelan plans to create at least one mobile
theme for Roller and be could choose to use JQuery.

>> Nota bene : A major point will be to have a way to detect mobile from vm
>> template.
>> In order to reduce page weight. "Display:none" with css is not good for
>> mobile design.
>> It is not necessary to load hidden data. User experience is wrong with it.
>> Another idea would be to add this info into theme.xml
>>
>> I will publish a code source to have this information into vm template. I
>> have to do it

Yes, I agree. We want templates to be able to detect need for mobile
pages, on the server side, and that is different from what
DetectMobileBrowser.com because it works on the client side.

> Thanks for the ideas and feedback.After a bit of searching i am trying to
> use WURLF[1] to assist in mobile detection.There are two things which become
> handy in using this.
>
> 1) Identifying the device
>
> 2) Identifying the device capability.
>
> At present i am evaluating its reliability and functionalities.I thinkat the
> filtering stage we can get the user request and let the WURLF to parse it
> and get the device.(As convenient as wurfl.getDeviceForRequest(request)).So
> we can decide the rendering after that according to user preference.( Unless
> user preferred a desktop or full theme always.)
>
> I think we can fine tune it more since WURLF can give the device
> capabilities.So it we may have to scale down the rendering for some devices
> which do not have some requirements.
>
> [1]http://wurfl.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately, WURFL is released under a GPL license and Apache
projects are not allowed [1] to depend on or ship GPL code. I'm not
sure we need something as powerful as WURLF... how much do we need to
know about the device?

- Dave

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

Re: Roller Mobile editing interface for bloggers [Proposal]

Posted by shelan Perera <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

--
Shelan Perera