Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> on 2006/01/03 10:51:33 UTC

[compress] what to do with?

Hi!

What to do with [compress]?

There is no development on the compress package, but VFS depends on it.
As you know, this is a show stopper for VFS to release.

The question now is if we should promote compress to proper and cut a
release or if I should import the required classes into the VFS codebase.
The latter might mean that compress will get dormant at all.

Personally I would like to keep compress as I hope sometimes in the
future we well see new compression algos too.
Might It be an option to move compress to [codec]? With some good will
;-) we can argue that it fits not that bad.

Ciao,
Mario

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by James Ring <sj...@jdns.org>.
Hi all,

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 06:52, Brett Porter wrote:
> Ok, is there anyone else interested?
>
> I don't have any coding time available right now, but here's some things
> we can do:
> - create patches for these issues: http://tinyurl.com/bz3r8

It looks like there are already fixes for the four non-enhancement bugs at
this URL. Doesn't look like anybody's reviewed or committed them though.

I'm interested in seeing this component get a release. I think it could be
quite useful.

Regards,
James
--
James Ring

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.
> Is there anything in particular you are interested in Chris?

I would like to add stuff to the zip-implementation, for example
deleting files from a zipfile. I would like to see this component
released and so i am also interested to discuss the api or to check
the Ant implementation Stefan mentioned.

I have time to do work end of next week.

Chris.

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Ok, is there anyone else interested?

I might be, but know I won't find time.

The code originated from Ant via Excalibur IIRC and has evolved inside
of Ant a bit after it had been forked - you may want to check the
bugfixes and new features we've added over the past two or three years
there.

Stefan

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Ok, is there anyone else interested?

I don't have any coding time available right now, but here's some things
we can do:
- create patches for these issues: http://tinyurl.com/bz3r8
- do a general review of the code to make sure it is javadoc'd/complete
- merge plexus-archiver (this is what I hope to replace):
http://svn.plexus.codehaus.org/trunk/plexus-components/plexus-archiver/,
which is derived from the same code.
- discuss the API that is thre now, and whether it is appropriate.

Is there anything in particular you are interested in Chris?

- Brett

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by "C. Grobmeier" <gr...@possessed.de>.
Hi,

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: [compress] what to do with?

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 1/3/06, Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> What to do with [compress]?
>
> There is no development on the compress package, but VFS depends on it.
> As you know, this is a show stopper for VFS to release.

Yup.

> The question now is if we should promote compress to proper and cut a
> release or if I should import the required classes into the VFS codebase.
> The latter might mean that compress will get dormant at all.

How much of compress does VFS use?

ie) you could look to release a compress that just includes the bzip2
bit if that's all you use etc. Probably drive somebody to fix the
other parts for a later release.

> Personally I would like to keep compress as I hope sometimes in the
> future we well see new compression algos too.
> Might It be an option to move compress to [codec]? With some good will
> ;-) we can argue that it fits not that bad.

Nah, it's a good component in concept, just needs work. Not as if
there's a huge codec team jumping up and down looking for new stuff to
do.

Hen