Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/05/20 09:08:05 UTC

Re: --lint tells me I need 0.34 dns

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 12:08:05AM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> It might make sense to turn some of those optional-but-recommended
> dependencies into requirements, in packages for platforms where
> apt-get-style systems are available; if the user doesn't have to
> do additional work to get them, then we should get them by default.

As I was saying, that's up to the distro people to figure out.  If they make
available appropriate revisions of different modules, they can update the spec
file appropriately.

We can't really guess what resources people have available.
apt-get/up2date/yum/etc may not be used.  In this case, I can build RPM
for most any platform, it's a package management system, not a package
distribution system.  ;)

The argument is basically: make it easier for users.  Which is a good
goal, but think about this scenario:  We suggest people build their own
RPMs from our source, they try and find that Net::DNS 0.34 is required,
but their (choosing details randomly) Fedora Core 1 distro only includes
0.31.  Now what?  We've just made their lives more difficult.

I'd rather have SA install and function, and then if people want to
enable extra functionality they jump through hoops then having them do
the hoops to use SA at all.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Bender: "Aw, I think I got whiplash."