Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Beto Flores <be...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/28 05:13:00 UTC

Some thoughts about the Any23 Dataformat.

Hi all.

The Apache Any23 library supports multiple input formats such as: RDFa,
Microdata, Microformat, Turtle, etc. [1]. And to my understanding a
 Dataformat generally focuses on a single format let say RSS [2] or CSV
[3].  So, I was wondering which strategy we could use to fit Any23 as a
Dataformat.

1)  Create a dataformat for each supported input format. Let say create a
RDFa dataformat, a Microformat dataformat, etc. All which will be
implemented using Any23.
2) Create a single Any23 dataformat which uses options in order to
parametrize which specific format to use.
Which approach do you think is better? Or do you have other ideas?.

Also, the output of Apache Any23 is essentially RDF data which could be
represented in many ways, let say RDF-XML, Turttle, JSON-LD, etc. Moreover,
it could also be retrieved as java objects through a RDF4J model [4]. So,
should a dataformat have only one way to represent the output data or could
it be configurable?

Best,
Roberto

[1] https://any23.apache.org/supported-formats.html
[2] http://camel.apache.org/rss.html
[3] http://camel.apache.org/csv.html
[4] https://rdf4j.eclipse.org/documentation/programming/model/

Re: Some thoughts about the Any23 Dataformat.

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Beto,
I think that solely depends on the amount of code/complexity one of
those options would introduce. I think a simple solution might be to
create a Any23 data format and then a fluent builder API on top of it.

Something like:

DataFormat rdfXml = new Any23DataFormat().rdf().asXML();

DataFormat rdfPojo = new Any23DataFormat().rdf().asJavaObjects();

But, we're discussing tastes here. Perhaps you can prototype this and
see how much complexity arises,

zoran

--
Zoran Regvart