Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by an...@amd.com on 2004/05/27 17:17:31 UTC

RE: (--incremental ) was backup strategy - and unrecoverable data bases.

> Quite a few of the projects I work on use code generators
> (lex/treecc/jay etc.)  -which regenerate 3000+ line files on each
> revision. - it quickly adds up.. (although only 10-50 lines actually
> change on each commit..)

I expect that people wll jump on you, saying
"Don't check in generated files."

Not me: I sometimes check in generated files,
e.g. to protect against the possibility
of some unanticipated dependency like a change
in compiler version resulting in the inability
to regenerate exactly the historical files.

Posted by Glenn Maynard <g_...@zewt.org>.
On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 10:17:31AM -0700, andy.glew@amd.com wrote:
> > Quite a few of the projects I work on use code generators
> > (lex/treecc/jay etc.)  -which regenerate 3000+ line files on each
> > revision. - it quickly adds up.. (although only 10-50 lines actually
> > change on each commit..)
>
> I expect that people wll jump on you, saying
> "Don't check in generated files."

If only 10-50 lines are actually changing, then it doesn't matter that
it's generated; it should be a tiny diff, anyway.  It's no different
than checking in a 3000+ line plain source file.

I often check in prebuilt Windows binaries and libraries, since that
environment is painful to automate.

--
Glenn Maynard