Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "R. S. Patil" <kp...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/20 18:46:53 UTC

Re: Fwd: Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Thanks chris,

> On 11/18/2009 11:07 PM, R. S. Patil wrote:
>> The repository Install of Tomcat has the problem.
>
> *Please report this issue to the Ubuntu folks*. I'd really prefer if we
> didn't always have to tell people having your type of problems that
> "everything will be fine if you uninstall the package-managed version of
> Tomcat and install a 'real' Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org".
>
> It gets kind of tiresome doing that, and also it would be nice if the
> package-managed versions actually did work properly.
>
> The problem is that people come here for help and we don't know all the
> weird conventions of each package manager's file layout, etc. so we
> can't give decent help to those who need it.

Well, I agree with you. I too read on Apache site the first thing mentioned
that "do a Official Install" then ask question. But the natural tendency is
to install from repositories like other packages in minor testing it works
fine but with some critical cases it fails then naturally ppl turn to Apache
site for help and rush to mailing list for asking question. This is what
causes trouble to ppl like you. Later the suffering ppl read the site
thoroughly and start feeling guilty that it should have been read earlier.
this is what I am facing today.

I am going to put this to Kubuntu mailing list but I not confident that they
will take it seriously because the person wrote a how for tomcat tar.gz
installation on Ubuntu was in 2007 still his observation is valid at
end of 2009.
well anyhow matter is sorted out and who so ever in my touch would like to
install tomcat on ubuntu I will adwise him to do tar.gz installation.

Thanks and sorry for trouble.

Raja.