Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ben Sinclair <be...@gmail.com> on 2004/09/07 22:34:52 UTC

Moving from a single server to a cluster

My application currently uses Lucene with an index living on the
filesystem, and it works fine. I'm moving to a clustered environment
soon and need to figure out how to keep my indexes together. Since the
index is on the filesystem, each machine in the cluster will end up
with a different index.

I looked into JDBC Directory, but it's not tested under Oracle and
doesn't seem like a very mature project.

What are other people doing to solve this problem?

--
Ben Sinclair
ben@bensinclair.com

Re: Moving from a single server to a cluster

Posted by Nader Henein <ns...@bayt.net>.
Hey Ben,

We've been using a distributed environment with three servers and three
separate indecies for the past 2 years since the first stable Lucene
release and it has been great, recently and for the past two months I've
been working on a redesign for our Lucene App and I've shared my
findings and plans with Otis, Doug and Erik, they pointed out a few
faults in my logic which you will probably come across soon enough that
mainly have to do with keeping you updates atomic (not too hard) and
your deletes atomic (a little more tricky), give me a few days and I'll
send you both the early document and the newer version that deals
squarely with Lucene in a distributed environment with high volume index.

Regards.

Nader Henein

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
I've used scp and rsync successfully in the past.
Lucene now includes a remote searcher (RMI stuff), so you may want to
consider a single index, too.

Otis