Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/04/26 04:19:18 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Source Code Reorganization

The Jakarta Program Management Committee has agreed to a proposal to
segregate the Java classes that implement the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
APIs (currently present in the "jakarta-tomcat" project source
repository) into a separate source repository named
"jakarta-servletapi".  This change will allow the servlet API classes to
be updated as revisions to the underlying specification (either new
versions or errata on existing versions) are published by Sun.  It will
also provide a single "official" source for the servlet API classes to
be downloaded from.

Making this change will have a minor impact on those who use the CVS
repositories or source distributions of jakarta-tomcat -- you will also
need to download and compile the servlet API classses package, just as
you must download and compile jakarta-ant today.  It will have no impact
on users of the binary distributions, because (once implemented) the
current version of "servlet.jar" will be automatically included in those
distributions.

Craig McClanahan

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Source Code Reorganization

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > The Jakarta Program Management Committee has agreed to a proposal to
> > segregate the Java classes that implement the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1
> > APIs (currently present in the "jakarta-tomcat" project source
> > repository) into a separate source repository named
> > "jakarta-servletapi".  This change will allow the servlet API classes to
> > be updated as revisions to the underlying specification (either new
> > versions or errata on existing versions) are published by Sun.  It will
> > also provide a single "official" source for the servlet API classes to
> > be downloaded from.
> >
> > Making this change will have a minor impact on those who use the CVS
> > repositories or source distributions of jakarta-tomcat -- you will also
> > need to download and compile the servlet API classses package, just as
> > you must download and compile jakarta-ant today.  It will have no impact
> > on users of the binary distributions, because (once implemented) the
> > current version of "servlet.jar" will be automatically included in those
> > distributions.
>
> Very good idea !
>
> I checked out the packaged, compiled it, and noticed that the compiled
> classes now go to a build subdirectory, istead of ../build. We usually do
> the same @Exoffice. Why did you change that ?

I'm also a big fan of consistency.  Unfortunately, the Jakarta projects to
date are consistently inconsistent :-(.

Tomcat, Taglibs, and Watchdog build into ../build and ../dist -- but Ant
builds into a lib directory inside jakarta-ant.  This makes paths in the
build.xml files a little shorter (no big deal), and the directory you name as
"ant.home" make more sense (slightly bigger deal).  But none of this is
mission critical stuff.

> I feel like for a multipart project like Tomcat, a common build directory
> was useful.

It's not too late, since I haven't finished modifying the Tomcat build process
stuff yet.  Anyone else for using "../dist/servletapi" as the distribution
home, and define an Ant property "servletapi.home" to point at it, so we can
add "${servletapi.home}/lib/servlet.jar" to the classpaths?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@exoffice.com>.