Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org> on 2006/03/07 04:03:43 UTC

Plans for ApacheCon Europe 2006?

Hey folks,

So for past ApacheCons, we've tended to have a small turnout, both for
committers in attendance (I think we've had a max of 4 at any one time),
and for attendees (the tutorial at last years AC US had something like
3 people attending...)

I'd like to see what we can do to increase both numbers if possible.
A main way to do this is to have more presentations about SpamAssassin.
Are others putting in papers/presentations for AC EU?  Are there people
interested in giving a presentation but don't know what to present?
Who is planning to go whether or not they present?

I'm thinking about doing a few presentations, though I haven't gotten anything
fleshed out yet.  A year or so ago I was discussing with people the idea of
doing a series of presentations under the "So you want to be a SpamAssassin
developer" theme.  I initially thought that this should be a tutorial, mostly
because it's a ton of information and 3h is better than 1h, however I don't
think people are going to pay for this information so splitting into multiple
1h presentations is the way to go imo.  I also like this theme because it's
the type of thing we could post on the web and try to get new people involved
with the project.

Something like (in no general order nor fully complete):

- Overview of the project, who people are, the roles we play, layout of SVN,
  cla, asl voting, ctr vs rtc, infrastructure (issues/zones/etc)

  I don't know if anyone would be interested in attending a presentation about
  this stuff.  Maybe this is best left to the wiki?

- Engine/code development, overview of how mails run through SA, spamassassin,
  sa-learn, spamc/spamd, overview of modules and major functions there-in,
  plugins

- Rule development, rule-qa, masses/, nightly and weekly mass-check runs,
  rulesrc, sa-update

I can't quite decide about these last two -- they could easily take more than
an hour each, but splitting them up too much is bad.

I don't think we'll have 3.2 out by AC EU, but we could do a "Upcoming
in SA 3.2".

Thoughts, etc?

Here's a copy of the CFP, btw: