Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Christian Neuroth <no...@gmx.de> on 2003/04/30 10:30:24 UTC

Performance Question

Hi list!

I just downloaded FOP for some evaluation tests and it seems to be really
great! :)

In my company, we are currently using StreamServe to produce documents
(basically invoices).
50.000 docs/day, 3.000 prints, 47.000 pdf.
The final document averages 3 pages (there are some exceptions with up to
1000 pages - very rare, however), a document containing only one graphic
(logo).

I am puzzling whether I can shift from StreamServer to FOP. Are there any
people out there who apply FOP to achieve a similar volume? Is the
performance ok?

Thanks

Christian

Re: Performance Question

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Christian Neuroth wrote:
> 50.000 docs/day, 3.000 prints, 47.000 pdf.
> The final document averages 3 pages (there are some exceptions with up to
> 1000 pages - very rare, however), a document containing only one graphic
> (logo).

A good rule of thumb is two pages per second on moderate hardware (Intel P4
1GHz), if the JVM is kept warm. If the documents share the graphic, FOP's
image cache is an advantage. This might fit, barely (1d=86.4ksec ~ 172 kpage
~ 50k documents). If you are batch processing, you can try to balance it
over several machines.
Run some benchmarks and make up your own mind.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Performance Question

Posted by Matthias Fischer <te...@nexus-solutions.de>.
I tried to process lesser amounts of docs (muuch lesser volumes!) and got
into serious trouble. I have abbandoned FOP, but I must admit that there was
Cocoon inbetween.

Matthias Fischer

<Q> -----Original Message-----
<Q> From: Christian Neuroth [mailto:nollario@gmx.de]
<Q> Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 10:30 AM
<Q> To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
<Q> Subject: Performance Question
<Q>
<Q>
<Q> Hi list!
<Q>
<Q> I just downloaded FOP for some evaluation tests and it seems to
<Q> be really
<Q> great! :)
<Q>
<Q> In my company, we are currently using StreamServe to produce documents
<Q> (basically invoices).
<Q> 50.000 docs/day, 3.000 prints, 47.000 pdf.
<Q> The final document averages 3 pages (there are some exceptions
<Q> with up to
<Q> 1000 pages - very rare, however), a document containing only one graphic
<Q> (logo).
<Q>
<Q> I am puzzling whether I can shift from StreamServer to FOP. Are
<Q> there any
<Q> people out there who apply FOP to achieve a similar volume? Is the
<Q> performance ok?
<Q>
<Q> Thanks
<Q>