Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mladen Turk <mt...@mappingsoft.com> on 2002/06/17 17:45:55 UTC

Native2 code cleanup

Hi,

Do we absolutely need all those commented dead code?

For example in the jk_vm_deafult.c there is still the old
non-APR JVM loading that's most likely never going to be used again.

/* #ifdef WIN32 */
/*     HINSTANCE hInst = LoadLibrary(jkvm->jvm_dll_path); */
/*     if(hInst) { */
...etc

I suggest that we clean that a bit, so that code can be easier to read.
I know it's boring, and I can do that, but I'll prefer that the original
authors do that, with revisited XXX and TODO's. Right now It's a little
bit confusing and can be misleading.

MT.

Re: Native2 code cleanup

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Mladen Turk wrote:

> Do we absolutely need all those commented dead code?

No, we don't. I usually leave it in for 2 reasons:
- backup - in case something goes wrong ( or a behavior changes ), it's
easier to compare and/or revert to the original
- review - I think it's easier to compare and review the changes.

I usually remove it close to a release or when I'm sure the new code is
working fine.

> I suggest that we clean that a bit, so that code can be easier to read.
> I know it's boring, and I can do that, but I'll prefer that the original
> authors do that, with revisited XXX and TODO's. Right now It's a little
> bit confusing and can be misleading.

I can do it, but I think it would be much better if someone else does it,
after a quick review of the new/old code. 2 pairs of eyes are better.

Costin