Posted to users@rave.apache.org by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com> on 2012/06/07 18:38:14 UTC

Site Navigation

I'm looking for some advice on high level site navigation using a portal.
In traditional web apps it's easy to navigate between pages because each
page has a unique URL. It's a little trickier in a portal environment. Has
anyone solved the problem of being in Canvas view of one gadget and needing
to switch to canvas view in a different gadget on a click? It could be done
with pubsub but that only works if the users is guaranteed to have all the
right gadgets one their screen at the right time. Are there any other
creative solutions?

Need something like requestNavigateTo that takes a gadget name and view.

Chris

Re: Site Navigation

Posted by Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>.
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 06/07/2012 06:38 PM, Chris Geer wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for some advice on high level site navigation using a portal.
>> In traditional web apps it's easy to navigate between pages because each
>> page has a unique URL. It's a little trickier in a portal environment. Has
>> anyone solved the problem of being in Canvas view of one gadget and
>> needing
>> to switch to canvas view in a different gadget on a click? It could be
>> done
>> with pubsub but that only works if the users is guaranteed to have all the
>> right gadgets one their screen at the right time. Are there any other
>> creative solutions?
>>
>> Need something like requestNavigateTo that takes a gadget name and view.
>>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I think this is an important issue and needed feature for Rave.
> However, there are many ways to skin this cat as well as many different
> cats...
>
> I'd love to see a (community) standard emerge which addresses
> cross-app/cross-view/cross-**page/cross-site/cross-device navigation and
> coordination needs but I wouldn't hold my breath on it :)
>
> I expect this is something Rave too will have to provide its own (custom)
> solution for. Just like about every other 'portal' has.
>
> I would start with determining which cross-page/cross-app navigation
> use-cases we need to support and then take it from there. Typically that
> will quickly drive the scope and requirements.

As a start I put something on the Wiki. We can discuss from there.

http://wiki.apache.org/rave/ArchitectureTopics/Navigation/ClientNavigation

Re: Site Navigation

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.