Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> on 2004/09/27 06:15:49 UTC

REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04

This is a reminder that we will be adding JP as a new list within
multi.surbl.org, as described in the previous announcement:

  http://lists.surbl.org/pipermail/announce/2004-September/000077.html

on Monday September 27th.  JP will have the bitmask value of 64,
which means about half of the WS records will have results that
increase by 64.  We'll probably make the change around close of
business U.S. East Coast time or around 22:00 UTC/GMT.

For now, JP records will continue to be included in WS, but
when SpamAssassin 3.1 gets released, the JP data will come
out of WS and these two will become separate lists within
multi.  Please update your programs accordingly.

SpamAssassin users won't need to make any changes to keep
using WS, but should probably add JP to their configurations
now so that they will be ready for the future change, and
also to gain the significant benefits of the separate JP
list now:

  http://www.surbl.org/quickstart.html
__

jp - jwSpamSpy + Prolocation data source

Joe Wein's jwSpamSpy program is used both by Joe's own systems
and also Raymond Dijkxhoorn and his colleagues at Prolocation to
process more than 300,000 likely spams per day. The resulting
list has a very good spam detection rate around 80% and a very
low false positive rate below 0.02%. This data is only available
in the combined list multi.surbl.org.

An SA 2.63 and 2.64 rule and score using SpamCopURI 0.22 or later
looks like this:

uri       JP_URI_RBL  eval:check_spamcop_uri_rbl('multi.surbl.org','127.0.0.0+64')
describe  JP_URI_RBL  URI's domain appears in JP at http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
tflags    JP_URI_RBL  net

score     JP_URI_RBL  4.0

An SA 3.0 rule and score using URIBL's urirhssub looks like this:

urirhssub URIBL_JP_SURBL  multi.surbl.org.        A   64
header    URIBL_JP_SURBL  eval:check_uridnsbl('URIBL_JP_SURBL')
describe  URIBL_JP_SURBL  Contains a URL listed in JP at http://www.surbl.org/lists.html
tflags    URIBL_JP_SURBL  net

score URIBL_JP_SURBL    4.0
__

JP has approximately the same spam detection and false positive
rates as OB and should probably be scored accordingly.  The
data are not the same however since JP uses different data
sources and Joe Wein's processing algorithms and inclusion
policies.

Jeff C.

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Monday, September 27, 2004, 8:01:48 PM, Daniel Drucker wrote:
> On 2004-09-27, Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> wrote:
>> This is a reminder that we will be adding JP as a new list within
>> multi.surbl.org, as described in the previous announcement:

> http://www.surbl.org/quickstart.html is a little bit confusing due to
> its haphazard organization.

Yes, I'll probably rewrite it again at some point....

> Am I correct in thinking that if one wants to use the "multi" list
> under SA3.0, no action or configuration of any kind is needed? It is
> built in, and activated and positively scored by default?

Yes.  However JP is a new list, so you should probably add
a rule for it.  All the other SURBLs are already configured
and enabled in SA 3.0.0 by default.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04 [Scanned]

Posted by Marco Maske <ma...@netcologne.de>.
David Thurman wrote:

Excuse, must you not do how in the /usr/share/spamassassin/score.cf

add this 2 lines:
> I added this to our local.cf

ifplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL
> score URIBL_JP_SURBL    4.0
endif # Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL

> Why are we not supposed to just add it to
> /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf? As apposed to local.cf?
>
> If not can I ask why we shouldn't (trying to understand sorry)

In this case are changes in: /usr/share/spamassassin/* the better way
because most of us want this overwritten in SA 3.1.

This rule is already default in SA 3.1 and higher, and will scored by the
masstest every Update.

--
Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User 313353

Keine Macht George W.Bush und seiner Junta zur Ausbeutung, Unterdrückung,
Weltmacht & 'BigBrother-watching'; kauft keine U$-Waren!

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04[Scanned]

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 7:02:50 AM, David Thurman wrote:
> On 9/29/04 8:55 AM, "Christiaan den Besten" wrote:

>>> Why are we not supposed to just add it to
>>> /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf? As apposed to local.cf?
>>
>> Because this file will be overwritten on the next update of SA.

> Ah so I see said the blind man. Understood, so this is something that is
> optional as far as SA is concerned.

> Thanks

For now, yes.  However a rule for JP has already been added
to the SA 3.1 branch, or so I heard.  :-)

I suppose that means you'll want to take out the one in
local.cf after upgrading to 3.1.

Jeff C.

Posted by David Thurman <li...@webpresencegroup.net>.
On 9/29/04 8:55 AM, "Christiaan den Besten" wrote:

>> Why are we not supposed to just add it to
>> /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf? As apposed to local.cf?
>
> Because this file will be overwritten on the next update of SA.

Ah so I see said the blind man. Understood, so this is something that is
optional as far as SA is concerned.

Thanks
--
David Thurman
The Web Presence Group
http://www.the-presence.com
Web Development/E-Commerce/CMS/Hosting/Dedicated Servers
800-399-6441/309-679-0774

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04[Scanned]

Posted by Christiaan den Besten <ch...@scorpion.nl>.
> Why are we not supposed to just add it to
> /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf? As apposed to local.cf?

Because this file will be overwritten on the next update of SA.

bye,
Chris

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04 [Scanned]

Posted by David Thurman <li...@webpresencegroup.net>.
On 9/27/04 10:09 PM, "Josh Trutwin" wrote:

> For me (install 3.0 from source) theyare in
> /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf.  There is a score file as well.  The new
> JP list is not there, so you could add  to local.cf until 3.1 released.

Jumping in late here as we just installed SA 3.0 on Debian (Works excellent
with MS THANKS!! :)

I added this to our local.cf

Posted by Josh Trutwin <jo...@trutwins.homeip.net>.
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:01:48 +0000 (UTC)
"Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org> wrote:

> On 2004-09-27, Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org> wrote:
> > This is a reminder that we will be adding JP as a new list within
> > multi.surbl.org, as described in the previous announcement:
>

> http://www.surbl.org/quickstart.html is a little bit confusing due
> to its haphazard organization.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that if one wants to use the "multi" list
> under SA3.0, no action or configuration of any kind is needed? It is
> built in, and activated and positively scored by default?

For me (install 3.0 from source) theyare in /usr/share/spamassassin/25_uribl.cf.  There is a score file as well.  The new JP list is not there, so you could add  to local.cf until 3.1 released.

You'll forgive my verbage, I just got stung by a #$@# wasp.

Josh

Re: REMINDER: Adding new JP list to multi.surbl.org on 9/27/04

Posted by "Daniel M. Drucker" <dm...@3e.org>.

Daniel Drucker / dmd@3e.org