Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Brian M Dube <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/13 01:14:52 UTC

RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source (Re: RC1 Fails on dispatcher)

Ross Gardler wrote:
> Gav.... wrote:

The same steps produce the same error on Linux. However, it appears the
scope is not limited to the dispatcher. Any plugin that provides Java
source will fail. Plugins in trunk are built in $FOO_PLUGIN/build, where
the compiled code will end up. This is not the case with RC1. With RC1,
the plugins end up in $FORREST_HOME/build/plugins in source form. They
are never built.

Brian

Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Brian M Dube wrote:
>> The same steps produce the same error on Linux. However, it appears the
>> scope is not limited to the dispatcher. Any plugin that provides Java
>> source will fail. Plugins in trunk are built in $FOO_PLUGIN/build, where
>> the compiled code will end up. This is not the case with RC1. With RC1,
>> the plugins end up in $FORREST_HOME/build/plugins in source form. They
>> are never built.
>
> Good detective work Brian. Thanks.

Absolutely, I was getting very frustrated with that last night. Thanks
for the heads up. Now I can look at it with fresh eyes - oh how I love
having a team spread across time zones.

(will get to look at this in about 2 hours)

Ross

Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:

> Yep, Dispatcher does a forrest run and forrest ok for me too in trunk.
> I still get my ant test fail however. I tried to ant test the glossary
> plugin in trunk and that fails too, missing a todo.xml file.
>
> I am using forests own packaged Ant.

This is the same as issue
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-985
"the plugins 'test' target does not local deploy its required plugins"

In this case it is missing the projectInfo plugin.
Do a 'forrest' or 'forrest run' in the plugin's
source directory first.

-David

Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>> David Crossley wrote:
>>> Good detective work Brian. Thanks.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the Ant target "deploy" target, that makes
>>> the plugin available for download, does not pack
>>> the built jar into the zip file.
>>>
>>> Thanks again for your valuable input.
>> Yep this is the problem. I am still investigating
>> it in head of trunk plugins/build.xml
>
> Okay, fixed now in r528349. The dispatcher plugin has
> been deployed again. Doing basic tests are working now
> for me.

My threading was off, so didn't see this message. This is even better
news and makes the revolving globe even more enjoyable ;-)

Ross

Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > > Yep this is the problem. I am still investigating
> > > it in head of trunk plugins/build.xml
> >
> > Okay, fixed now in r528349. The dispatcher plugin has
> > been deployed again. Doing basic tests are working now
> > for me.
>
> Other plugins that use some java will need to be
> re-deployed too.
>
> e.g. I am getting failures with a site that uses
> the PhotoGallery plugin (missing images and errors
> in the log). So i will try to re-deploy that one.
>
> There are various other such plugins, but no developer
> is asking for them to be deployed. The trouble is that
> if we don't deploy these, then people will get strange
> errors when they try and we will need to answer lots
> of mail lists questions. I know that there are warnings about
> using whiteboard plugins. But still, better to head off
> any questions.

Here is the list of plugins that currently use some java.

plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.PhotoGallery
Done

plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.inputModule
Not yet done. This is used by dispatcher-releated sites.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.Database
Not yet done.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.solr
Done.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher
Done.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.xhtml2
Not yet done.
Not yet initially deployed anyway. Better to not deploy this
yet, IIRC it is still in early development.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.DevTools
Not yet done.
Not yet initially deployed anyway.

whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.Resume

Re: Whiteboard plugins (Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >There are various other such plugins, but no developer
> >is asking for them to be deployed. The trouble is that
> >if we don't deploy these, then people will get strange
> >errors when they try and we will need to answer lots
> >of mail lists questions. I know that there are warnings about
> >using whiteboard plugins. But still, better to head off
> >any questions.
>
> The only reason I did not deploy all the whiteboard plugins was becuase
> of time. I have no problem with any/all being deployed. Right now I'm
> busy fighting with a weird error in the DOAP plugin (something I
> actually need to deploy).
>
> It would be great if every committer actually deploys one whiteboard
> plugin, we'd be through them in no time.

Yeah that is what i have been trying to encourage.

This previous message was only related to the plugins
that use java and so more crticial.

I will list those and we can ensure that they are done.
The rest are up to people to state their needs.

-David

Whiteboard plugins (Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source)

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> There are various other such plugins, but no developer
> is asking for them to be deployed. The trouble is that
> if we don't deploy these, then people will get strange
> errors when they try and we will need to answer lots
> of mail lists questions. I know that there are warnings about
> using whiteboard plugins. But still, better to head off
> any questions.

The only reason I did not deploy all the whiteboard plugins was becuase
of time. I have no problem with any/all being deployed. Right now I'm
busy fighting with a weird error in the DOAP plugin (something I
actually need to deploy).

It would be great if every committer actually deploys one whiteboard
plugin, we'd be through them in no time.

Once I've done the DOAP plugin I'll move onto another.

Ross

Re: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

PASSED with RC1: build test (includes dispatcher)

I'm getting a failing ant test too, but that appears to be a problem
with the test script, not with the plugin itself (since site tests work).

Will continue testing with some of my more esoteric dev sites now.

Ross

RE: RC1 fails when plugins provide Java source

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.