Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Pamidimarri, Pavan" <Pa...@bis.adp.com> on 2001/08/29 17:07:49 UTC

Log4J on AS/400

Hi,

I ran into a bit of a problem while using Log4J on AS/400. I am unable to
get the class and method names printed with the log messages, using the %C
and %M patterns in PatternLayout. Question-marks get printed in place of
both. I am using Log4J version 1.1.3, with IBM's AS/400 JDK 1.2.2.

The same code+configuration file combination produces proper output (with
class and method names) on NT (IBM JDK 1.2.2, and in VAJ 3.5.3 as well).

The trouble-shooting guide at
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/TROUBLESHOOT.html#jit mentions that JIT
compilation should be turned off, and the optimise flag should not be used
during compilation, for these patters to work. I compiled my classes with
the -g debug flag, and then 'created a Java program' on AS/400, with the
CRTJVAPGM command described at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/index.htm?info/jav
a/rzaha/crtjva.htm. (I'm a complete novice on AS/400, so I'm not quite sure
of this.) I set the optimisation level to *INTERPRET. But when I run my
program, the class and method names are still NOT printed.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should/could do to make this
work. Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pavan

Re: Log4J on AS/400

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <cg...@qos.ch>.
Can you please execute the following code on AS/400 and send me the results?

public class Foo {
  static public void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
    foo();
  }

  static
  void foo() throws Exception {