Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dennis Kühn <Ku...@mediaworx.com> on 2009/07/23 16:36:46 UTC

Component API?

Hi everyone,

I'm a Tapestry beginner and am getting started with T5 now.
All I've seen so far looks really good and I found myself giggling while coding my first pages .. a good sign I guess ;)

Before Tapestry I have evaluated JSF and found it quite neat how you can manipulate a component on the server side. In Tapestry, I found I can inject a component instance into my page class via @InjectComponent. However, when I tried this with a checkbox component, I noticed there are no methods for changing the component (e.g. myCheckbox.setDisabled(true)). What's the preferred way to do this?

I also wonder if there is something like a user guide - the tutorials and wiki are nice but there is no step-by-step style guide to learning Tapestry.
Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Dennis

Dennis Kühn
mediaworx berlin AG

Fon (0 30) 2 75 80 - 293
Fax (0 30) 2 75 80 - 200

AW: Component API?

Posted by Dennis Kühn <Ku...@mediaworx.com>.
Juan and Thiago,

Thanks a lot for your tipps - this is exactly what I was looking for!

some things have changed since it was written.

Another great source to learn is Tapestry Jumpstart :
http://jumpstart.doublenegative.com.au/home.html
It's not  a step by step tutorial but very useful to know how things work.

Also the don't forget to check the wiki
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/Tapestry5HowTos

Re: Component API?

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Re: Component API?

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

I suggest you read Tapestry User Guide section in parallel with Jumpstart.

P.S. I love Google email translating feature! :)

Re: Component API?

Posted by "Juan E. Maya" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Totally agree with Igor.

Re: Component API?

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Dear Kai,

if you write such a mail to the tapestry mail list, you should write in
english and provide more technical arguments.
Yes, Tapestry takes a different approach to create web apps. But this
approach is what makes Tapestry so beautiful.

@Dennis: Give Tapestry a try and you will see if it fits your needs. A
german book about Tapestry will be released shortly.
I hope it will help you to learn Tapestry. See here:

http://www.amazon.de/Tapestry-Die-Entwicklung-Webanwendungen-Leichtigkeit/dp/3827328446/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248371375&sr=8-1

2009/7/23 Kai Weber <ka...@glorybox.de>

> * Dennis Kühn <Ku...@mediaworx.com>:
>
> Hallo Dennis, hier deiner alter Arbeitskollege Kai. Wenn du irgendwie
> die Chance hast Tapestry nicht zu benutzen: benutz es nicht! Es ist ein
> graus. Es will alles machen und macht alles anders als alle anderen.
> Besser wird es dadurch nicht. Details gerne mal privat. Ich kann nur
> abraten, denn ich muss es täglich benutzen.
>
> Grüße aus der Tapestry-Welt
> Kai

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko

Re: Component API?

Re: Component API?

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:36:46 -0300, Dennis Kühn <Ku...@mediaworx.com>
escreveu:

> Hi everyone,

Hi!

> I'm a Tapestry beginner and am getting started with T5 now.

Welcome to Tapestry and the mailing list! :)

> All I've seen so far looks really good and I found myself giggling while
> coding my first pages .. a good sign I guess ;)

That's a very good sign: it seems you're learning quickly and enjoying the
framework. :)

> Before Tapestry I have evaluated JSF and found it quite neat how you can
> manipulate a component on the server side.

But it's quite hard to understando and implement . . .

> In Tapestry, I found I can inject a component instance into my page
> class via @InjectComponent. However, when I tried this with a checkbox
> component, I noticed there are no methods for changing the component
> (e.g. myCheckbox.setDisabled(true)). What's the preferred way to do this?

Use Checkbox's disabled parameter and bind it to a page property:

<input t:type="Checkbox" t:disabled="checkboxDisabled"/>

public boolean isCheckboxDisabled() {
	// logic here
}

--