Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Udovichenko, Nellya" <ne...@intel.com> on 2006/06/09 12:32:43 UTC

Geronimo doesn't startup if restart it using another JDK

Hello,

I have launched Geronimo on Sun JDK. Then I've tried to run it with Harmony class library

and IBM VM j9. I've got the error log below. Also I've got the same result when launched

Geronimo on Harmony and then - on Sun JDK.

There is a bug in HOWL repaired in howl-1.0.1 by the new parameter (adler32Checksum)

adding. At Geronimo startup it checks the log files' validity if they exist. One of verified

parameters is the file content control sum. One value of this sum is read from file header

and another is calculated by function java.nio.ByteBuffer.hashCode(). So if the algorithms of

hash code functions of the JDKs are different Geronimo doesn't startup.

If the parameter adler32Checksum value is false the control sum is calculated by function

java.nio.ByteBuffer.hashCode() otherwise it is calculated using ADLER-32 algorithm.

Therefore, I think, it would be correct to add this parameter to configs/j2ee-server/src/plan/plan.xml

and to gbean org.apache.geronimo.transaction.log.HOWLLog with value 'true'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Nellya Udovichenko,

Intel Middleware Products Division

Error log:

$ java -jar bin/server.jar

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_01)...

Starting Geronimo Application Server v1.1-20060607

[**>                     ] 11%   6s Starting geronimo/j2ee-server/1...14:23:30,3

19 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is now in the FAILED s

tate: abstractName="geronimo/j2ee-server/1.1-20060607/car?ServiceModule=geronimo

/j2ee-server/1.1-20060607/car,j2eeType=TransactionLog,name=HOWLTransactionLog"

org.objectweb.howl.log.InvalidLogBufferException: CHECKSUM

Class: org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer

  workerID: ffffffff

  LogFile: C:\Nellya\geronimo-1.1\var\txlog\howl_1.log

  HEADER

    HEADER_ID: 0x484f574c

    bsn: 0x1

    size: 0x8000  should be: 0x8000

    data used: 0x4f

    checkSum: 0x2227d

    tod: 0x10bb850e3b1

    crlf: 0xd0a

  FOOTER

    FOOTER_ID: 0x4c574f48

    bsn: 0x1

    tod: 0x10bb850e3b1

    crlf: 0xd0a

        at org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer.read(BlockLogBuffer.java:460)

        at org.objectweb.howl.log.LogFileManager.init(LogFileManager.java:821)

        at org.objectweb.howl.log.Logger.open(Logger.java:314)

        at org.objectweb.howl.log.xa.XALogger.open(XALogger.java:893)

        at org.apache.geronimo.transaction.log.HOWLLog.doStart(HOWLLog.java:217)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanI

nstance.java:981)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart

(GBeanInstanceState.java:267)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta

nceState.java:102)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.start(GBeanInstance.j

ava:526)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.attemptFullStart(GB

eanDependency.java:111)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.addTarget(GBeanDepe

ndency.java:146)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency$1.running(GBeanDepe

ndency.java:120)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.fireRunningEve

nt(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:173)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.access$300(Bas

icLifecycleMonitor.java:41)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor$RawLifecycleBr

oadcaster.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:251)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart

(GBeanInstanceState.java:292)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta

nceState.java:102)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(G

BeanInstanceState.java:124)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanI

nstance.java:540)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(Basi

cKernel.java:379)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio

nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:374)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(Ke

rnelConfigurationManager.java:187)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startCon

figuration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:512)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startCon

figuration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:493)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager$$FastCla

ssByCGLIB$$ce77a924.invoke(<generated>)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethod

Invoker.java:38)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperatio

n.java:122)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.

java:817)

        at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:5

7)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke(RawOperat

ionInvoker.java:35)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(Pro

xyMethodInterceptor.java:96)

        at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableConfigurationManager$$Enhan

cerByCGLIB$$ff5cf4ac.startConfiguration(<generated>)

        at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.doStartup(Daemon.java:297)

        at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.<init>(Daemon.java:74)

        at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.main(Daemon.java:377)

[**>                     ] 11%   6s Startup failed

Server shutdown begun               Startup failed

Server shutdown completed

[**>                     ] 11%   7s Startup failed

Re: Geronimo doesn't startup if restart it using another JDK

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Using the ADLER-32 makes much more sence than a hash code.

--jason

I have launched Geronimo on Sun JDK. Then I’ve tried to run it with Harmony class library

and IBM VM j9. I’ve got the error log below. Also I’ve got the same result when launched

Geronimo on Harmony and then - on Sun JDK.š

There is a bug in HOWL repaired in howl-1.0.1 by the new parameter (adler32Checksum)

adding. At Geronimo startup it checks the log files' validity if they exist. One of verified

parameters is the file content control sum. One value of this sum is read from file header

and another is calculated by function java.nio.ByteBuffer.hashCode(). So if the algorithms of

hash code functions of the JDKs are different Geronimo doesn’t startup.

If the parameter adler32Checksum value is false the control sum is calculated by function

java.nio.ByteBuffer.hashCode() otherwise it is calculated using ADLER-32 algorithm.

Therefore, I think, it would be correct to add this parameter to configs/j2ee-server/src/plan/plan.xml

and to gbean org.apache.geronimo.transaction.log.HOWLLog with value 'true'.š

Any thoughts?

Nellya Udovichenko,

Intel Middleware Products Division

Error log:

$ java -jar bin/server.jar

Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_01)...

Starting Geronimo Application Server v1.1-20060607

[**>šššššššššššššššššššš ] 11%šš 6s Starting geronimo/j2ee-server/1...14:23:30,3

19 ERROR [GBeanInstanceState] Error while starting; GBean is now in the FAILED s

tate: abstractName="geronimo/j2ee-server/1.1-20060607/car?ServiceModule=geronimo

/j2ee-server/1.1-20060607/car,j2eeType=TransactionLog,name=HOWLTransactionLog"

org.objectweb.howl.log.InvalidLogBufferException: CHECKSUM

Class: org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer

š workerID: ffffffff

š LogFile: C:\Nellya\geronimo-1.1\var\txlog\howl_1.log

š HEADER

ššš HEADER_ID: 0x484f574c

ššš bsn: 0x1

ššš size: 0x8000š should be: 0x8000

ššš data used: 0x4f

ššš checkSum: 0x2227d

ššš tod: 0x10bb850e3b1

ššš crlf: 0xd0a

š FOOTER

ššš FOOTER_ID: 0x4c574f48

ššš bsn: 0x1

ššš tod: 0x10bb850e3b1

ššš crlf: 0xd0a

ššššššš at org.objectweb.howl.log.BlockLogBuffer.read(BlockLogBuffer.java:460)

ššššššš at org.objectweb.howl.log.LogFileManager.init(LogFileManager.java:821)

ššššššš at org.objectweb.howl.log.Logger.open(Logger.java:314)

ššššššš at org.objectweb.howl.log.xa.XALogger.open(XALogger.java:893)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.transaction.log.HOWLLog.doStart(HOWLLog.java:217)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.createInstance(GBeanI

nstance.java:981)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart

(GBeanInstanceState.java:267)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta

nceState.java:102)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.start(GBeanInstance.j

ava:526)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.attemptFullStart(GB

eanDependency.java:111)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency.addTarget(GBeanDepe

ndency.java:146)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanDependency$1.running(GBeanDepe

ndency.java:120)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.fireRunningEve

nt(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:173)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor.access$300(Bas

icLifecycleMonitor.java:41)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicLifecycleMonitor$RawLifecycleBr

oadcaster.fireRunningEvent(BasicLifecycleMonitor.java:251)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.attemptFullStart

(GBeanInstanceState.java:292)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.start(GBeanInsta

nceState.java:102)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstanceState.startRecursive(G

BeanInstanceState.java:124)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.startRecursive(GBeanI

nstance.java:540)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.startRecursiveGBean(Basi

cKernel.java:379)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.ConfigurationUtil.startConfiguratio

nGBeans(ConfigurationUtil.java:374)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.KernelConfigurationManager.start(Ke

rnelConfigurationManager.java:187)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startCon

figuration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:512)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager.startCon

figuration(SimpleConfigurationManager.java:493)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.SimpleConfigurationManager$$FastCla

ssByCGLIB$$ce77a924.invoke(<generated>)

ššššššš at net.sf.cglib.reflect.FastMethod.invoke(FastMethod.java:53)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethod

Invoker.java:38)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperatio

n.java:122)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.

java:817)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:5

7)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke(RawOperat

ionInvoker.java:35)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(Pro

xyMethodInterceptor.java:96)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.config.EditableConfigurationManager$$Enhan

cerByCGLIB$$ff5cf4ac.startConfiguration(<generated>)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.doStartup(Daemon.java:297)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.<init>(Daemon.java:74)

ššššššš at org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon.main(Daemon.java:377)

[**>šššššššššššššššššššš ] 11%šš 6s Startup failed

Server shutdown begunšššššššššššššš Startup failed

Server shutdown completed

[**>šššššššššššššššššššš ] 11%šš 7s Startup failed

Re: Geronimo doesn't startup if restart it using another JDK

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
BTW migrating to howl 1.0.1 is waiting on a maven upload request...
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-930   As of a couple days
ago these were stalled indefinitely.

thanks
david jencks