Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by AltGrendel <al...@exit0.us> on 2004/07/02 15:30:41 UTC

Re: ANNOUNCE: New whitelist source: public companies' domains [SCANNED]

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 16:09, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, July 1, 2004, 6:32:12 AM, David Thurman wrote:
> > On 7/1/04 8:19 AM, "jdow" wrote:
>
> >> OK, what if a spam company trades publicly?
>
> > Get them delisted ;)
>
> Seriously, yes.  The more public a company is, the more they have
> to lose by breaking the law.  Therefore public companies will
> tend not to be spammers.  It's no guarantee of course, but
> perhaps an increased probability.

This is why you read about sub-sub-sub-contracting for this stuff. It
give the public company the "plausible deny-ability" card.
A man can have two, maybe three love affairs while he's married. After
that it's cheating. -- Yves Montand

Re: ANNOUNCE: New whitelist source: public companies' domains [SCANNED]

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Friday, July 2, 2004, 6:30:41 AM, AltGrendel AltGrendel wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 16:09, Jeff Chan wrote:

>> > Get them delisted ;)
>>
>> Seriously, yes.  The more public a company is, the more they have
>> to lose by breaking the law.  Therefore public companies will
>> tend not to be spammers.  It's no guarantee of course, but
>> perhaps an increased probability.

> This is why you read about sub-sub-sub-contracting for this stuff. It
> give the public company the "plausible deny-ability" card.

If a subcontractor is a spamhaus, their sending servers will
probably end up blocked on ordinary RBLs eventually....   QED

For SURBLs, which look at message body URIs, we need to minimize
collateral damage so that messages that innocently mention
mostly legitimate domains don't get blocked for mentioning them.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: ANNOUNCE: New whitelist source: public companies' domains [SCANNED] [SCANNED]

Posted by David Thurman <li...@webpresencegroup.net>.
On 7/2/04 8:30 AM, "AltGrendel" wrote:

>>> Get them delisted ;)
>>
>> Seriously, yes.  The more public a company is, the more they have
>> to lose by breaking the law.  Therefore public companies will
>> tend not to be spammers.  It's no guarantee of course, but
>> perhaps an increased probability.
>>

> This is why you read about sub-sub-sub-contracting for this stuff. It
> give the public company the "plausible deny-ability" card.

Sort of how the CIA works.
--
David Thurman
The Web Presence Group