Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nima S Panahi <av...@panahi.com> on 2006/08/24 21:49:40 UTC

[users@httpd] Cache problems with apache2.0

Hi,
I have Mandrake Linux 2006 which uses apache 2.0.54. By default it
uses the caching system, or so I think since it creates
/var/cache/httpd and populates it.
I use apache primarily with postnuke and horde/imp with mysql as the db.
When I first installed the system in March, everything worked fine.
Then about a month ago users started complaining about sometimes
getting weird results, like getting logged out or not being able to
log in or old messages showing up or  being send. These were rare,
then about 2 days ago, everything went to hell. No one could use the
system. Now nothing has changed, except the cachce files and the logs.
I know becuase, I have a full system backup before the problems showed
up and I compared the backed up files against the current files and
except basically the apache cache files, misc temp files, mail files,
and logs files, everything was identical. So nobody broke in nor were
anyfiles curropted.
Things that happen include:
1. Not being able to log in. This happens with both postnuke and
horde. People login and log files show they logged in successfully. In
the case of horde/imp they even see the INBOX. But clicking on
anything brings then back to the login page. Sometimes it shows weird
messages like that they internet ip address has changed and that is
why they were logged out, even though no such thing happed. Also they
sometimes  get things like the language of Persian selected by default
  (a few people on the system use Persian) even though they never have
selected such a thing.
2. Going to places like www.panahi.com shows the index of the main
directory. Now, apache IS configured not to do that and normally
automatically loads index.php. This worked perfectly before the
problems started showing up.
3. Apache is configure to only allow SSL access to certain parts of
the site. This worked perfectly before the problems started showing
up. Now, however, it allows non-SSL access to those directories
Those are the main reproducable problems. In trying to solve the
problem, I rebooted the server several times, I deleted temporary
files such as those in /tmp, restarted the servers (apache, mysql,
etc) serveral times. It changed nothing. I finally moved the
/var/cache/httpd to /var/cache/httpdold so that the  cache would be
disabled. This fixed EVERYTHING. So it must be the cache, but I can't
figure out why? It is a problem with 2.0.54? I searched the web and
mail archives and (unless I searched wrong) could not find a similar
problem reported. Any help would be appreciated to help me to reenable
the cache without  causing the problems to appear again. Thanks

--
University of Chicago