Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2004/07/18 15:09:07 UTC

Re: [PMC] contribution procedure

Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> > This is not our way. It should be that stuff gets contributed,
> > we commit it, then we work on it, then we decide whether to
> > keep it, then we release it.
> >
> > Sure, there are other situations where the committer will need
> > to judge whether the work is able to be committed at all, e.g.
> > perhaps legal issues, or maybe not appropriate to Forrest mission.
> >
> > Your enthusiasm is definitely admired Thorsten, but we
> > need to follow the way that we know is a good procedure.
>
> Then write them down! I am too new to forrest to know all this rules
> that exist but are not written down!

That is just the way that things are commonly done at all
Apache projects and really just taken for granted. So it
is not just Forrest in particular.

Yes it does need to be written down. We will use the words
from this discussion to add some documents somewhere.

--
David Crossley

Re: [PMC] contribution procedure

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Scherler, Thorsten wrote:
>
>>David Crossley wrote:
>>

>>>This is not our way. It should be that stuff gets contributed,
>>>we commit it, then we work on it, then we decide whether to
>>>keep it, then we release it.
>>>
>>>Sure, there are other situations where the committer will need
>>>to judge whether the work is able to be committed at all, e.g.
>>>perhaps legal issues, or maybe not appropriate to Forrest mission.
>>>
>>>Your enthusiasm is definitely admired Thorsten, but we
>>>need to follow the way that we know is a good procedure.
>>
>>Then write them down! I am too new to forrest to know all this rules
>>that exist but are not written down!
>

> That is just the way that things are commonly done at all
> Apache projects and really just taken for granted. So it
> is not just Forrest in particular.

I am with lenya in the incubator, that means I am still learning the asf
way of doing things ;-)

...and being before a release has project specific rules I reckon. ASF
wide similar but project specific sets of do's and don't´s. Adding
something that seems not to work is IMO something that is discusable.

> Yes it does need to be written down. We will use the words
> from this discussion to add some documents somewhere.

http://forrest.apache.org/contrib.html
would be a good place IMO.

King regards
thorsten
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@m...@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Scherler
</...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>