Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2000/11/09 08:14:45 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 06:55:13AM -0000, rbb@locus.apache.org wrote:
> rbb         00/11/08 22:55:13
>
>   Added:       src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c
>   Log:
>   It looks like this file was removed accidentally at some point tonight.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.1                  apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix/mmap.c

1.1 !!

It looks like you've been mucking in the repository, rather than using cvs
add/delete?

IOW, we just lost the history of mmap.c ?

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > I have one from my rsync'ed repository copy dated 9th October, rev
> > 1.26... from the commit messages I couldn't find a more recent commit
> > than this, so I've attached it.
>
> My tree, rsynced yesterday (maybe the day before) also has an Oct 9 timestamp
> on this file. Anyone care to admit what's wrong/who broke it? :-)

I accidentally deleted it last night.  It has been fixed now.

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by "James A. Sutherland" <ja...@cam.ac.uk>.
On Thu, 09 Nov 2000, Joe Orton wrote:

> > > Brian, do we have a backup that we can restore of
> > >
> > > apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/shmem/unix/mmap.c,v
> >
> > Let's re-phrase that a little bit.  Does anybody have a backup of this
> > file?  I looked on the covalent mirrors last night, but for some reason we
> > aren't mirroring apache-2.0  (I'll be getting that changed).
>
> I have one from my rsync'ed repository copy dated 9th October, rev
> 1.26... from the commit messages I couldn't find a more recent commit
> than this, so I've attached it.

My tree, rsynced yesterday (maybe the day before) also has an Oct 9 timestamp
on this file. Anyone care to admit what's wrong/who broke it? :-)

James.

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Ryan

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Joe Orton wrote:

> > > Brian, do we have a backup that we can restore of
> > >
> > > apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/shmem/unix/mmap.c,v
> >
> > Let's re-phrase that a little bit.  Does anybody have a backup of this
> > file?  I looked on the covalent mirrors last night, but for some reason we
> > aren't mirroring apache-2.0  (I'll be getting that changed).
>
> I have one from my rsync'ed repository copy dated 9th October, rev
> 1.26... from the commit messages I couldn't find a more recent commit
> than this, so I've attached it.
>
> joe

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@light.plus.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
Coolness!

It wasn't until this morning as I puttered about the house, that I recalled
we have a big developer base with rsync copies :-)

Kind of hard for anybody to permanently damage a repository given all those
copies... hehe.

Cheers,
-g

Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Let's re-phrase that a little bit.  Does anybody have a backup of
> this file?

I have rsync'd copies of the apache-2.0 module taken at 2-hourly
intervals, going back to 2000-11-06-03:30:00 -- but the older ones
will be autodeleted if I don't take steps now.  They get taken at
half past every odd-numbered hour.
--
#ken    P-)}

RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
> > Let's re-phrase that a little bit.  Does anybody have a backup of this
> > file?  I looked on the covalent mirrors last night, but for some reason we
> > aren't mirroring apache-2.0  (I'll be getting that changed).
>
> I'm asking my ops guy in charge of backups to get it for you; presumably
> "as it was Wednesday" or thereabouts?
>
> Also, if it's a ,v file, isn't all the data there?  Couldn't you just
> hand-edit it to remove the tag?

Don't bother Brian, this was handled already.  :-)

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

RE: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 rbb@covalent.net wrote:
> > > But then again, APACHE_2_0_ALPHA_2 won't ever work because of
> > > the mmap.c thing. So who cares?
> >
> > Brian, do we have a backup that we can restore of
> >
> > apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/shmem/unix/mmap.c,v
>
> Let's re-phrase that a little bit.  Does anybody have a backup of this
> file?  I looked on the covalent mirrors last night, but for some reason we
> aren't mirroring apache-2.0  (I'll be getting that changed).

I'm asking my ops guy in charge of backups to get it for you; presumably
"as it was Wednesday" or thereabouts?

Also, if it's a ,v file, isn't all the data there?  Couldn't you just
hand-edit it to remove the tag?

	Brian

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0/src/lib/apr/mmap/unix mmap.c

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:23:53PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> > 1.1 !!
> >
> > It looks like you've been mucking in the repository, rather than using cvs
> > add/delete?
> >
> > IOW, we just lost the history of mmap.c ?
>
> Yes, and that was a mistake.  However, this is how we have always moved
> files, and although you have argued against it everytime, we have never
> changed the policy, so I just did what we have always done.

Last time we went through this, the general consensus seemed to point to NOT
mucking in the repository.

You *do* realize that all of the older versions of Apache 2.0 are now
broken? There is no way to pull Apache 2.0a* at all. The tags just no longer
exist on mmap.c.

Even reestablishing the tags may not do it since mmap.c may have changed
over time and the current one cannot build against older environments.

Yes, I'm a bit peeved. Last time you mucked in the repository, you flat out
broke it. This time, we have apr/include/arch files with improper tags, and
the entire history/tags blown away on mmap.c. We discussed this back in July
(I just checked the archive) and from the people that actually spoke up:

Greg, FirstBill, Ben: cvs add/delete. no mucking
Ryan: "I personally don't care"
Ken: do the mucking
Dirk: reported on his thoughts of prior consensus, but never stated his
      thoughts

Whether we did it one way in the past or not, it doesn't mean we should keep
doing something that is wrong/dangerous.

-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/