Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by ba...@wellsfargo.com on 2015/09/28 16:43:53 UTC

Nothing on queues, Journal files not getting cleaned up

Hello,

How is it that our journal files continue to grow, yet no messages are on the queues?

ActiveMQ 5.11.1, Using KahaDB (not levelDB).

How can you tell if a kahaDB scheduler is waiting, and in need of clearing?

Nothing on the Advisory queues (no network of brokers), nothing on the DLQ.  Where else can I look?  Our txlogs are very large as well.  Application Teams advise their transaction processing IS committing on gets and puts, etc..

Regards,

Barry

RE: Nothing on queues, Journal files not getting cleaned up

Posted by ba...@wellsfargo.com.
I did find something, but need some advice:

We are using ActiveMQ 5.11.1 in our environments.
 The behaviour we noticed was that ActiveMQ wrote the messages to a new kahadb file (journal log) after every 32 mb (default configuration). This lead to the message and its corresponding ack ending up in different files. It resulted in a chain of such journal logs which couldn't be cleaned up by ActiveMQ. It eventually filled up the disk causing ActiveMQ to shutdown.

Is it a good idea to increase the log size to avoid having the message and its ACK in different files?  Any suggestions here?

Regards,

Barry

I trust you've confirmed that there are no messages pending on topics as
well as queues?  JMX is the easiest way I know to confirm that if you
haven't already done so.

Are some but not all journal files being deleted, or none at all?
On Sep 28, 2015 8:44 AM, <ba...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How is it that our journal files continue to grow, yet no messages are on
> the queues?
>
> ActiveMQ 5.11.1, Using KahaDB (not levelDB).
>
> How can you tell if a kahaDB scheduler is waiting, and in need of clearing?
>
> Nothing on the Advisory queues (no network of brokers), nothing on the
> DLQ.  Where else can I look?  Our txlogs are very large as well.
> Application Teams advise their transaction processing IS committing on gets
> and puts, etc..
>
> Regards,
>
> Barry

RE: Nothing on queues, Journal files not getting cleaned up

Posted by ba...@wellsfargo.com.
But if the message and its ACK are in different files due to high volumes, and cleanup is not occurring due to this, wouldn't you want to increase file size from 32mb?

Regards,

Barry

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
One other thing about chains of KahaDB files: they can only occur when
you've got unacked messages.  If you have a chain of files, and you think
you have no unacked messages, then you're wrong and you need to figure out
where the message actually is.  You sent some emails yesterday saying
you've got KahaDB journal chains and some saying txlog was your issue, and
it wasn't clear if the later messages meant "I was mistaken, there's no
chain after all" or "we have both chains of journal files and large txlog
files", but if you have chains of journal files, you probably don't have
zero unconsumed messages.

Tim

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.