Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by ia...@external.electrabel.com on 2011/10/11 14:04:21 UTC

RTF vs PDF Memory usage

Hello

I have a question concerning the memory usage when creating a PDF document and an RTF document from practically the same .fo file.
For creating the PDF document, fop uses about 1MB/page which I consider normal and it scales pretty well.
When creating RTF documents however, for a 101 page document, 600mb is needed, while 100 suffices for PDF.
It's true that the PDF document generated is "only" 2mb while the RTF document is 32mb. This give me the impression that maybe it's expected behavior of FOP to use a lot more resources for RTF File creation.
Each page is encased in its own page-sequence. Each page does have _a lot_ of information on it, but for PDF this doesn't form a problem.
There's also no references between the pages.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Ian Corne

ELECTRABEL NV/SA, 8 Regentlaan - Boulevard du Regent
1000 Brussel - Bruxelles, 0403170701, RPR/RPM Brussel/Bruxelles
"This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal
rules. If you have received it by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system; you should
not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. All messages sent to and from Electrabel will be monitored to ensure
compliance with internal policies, to protect our interests and to eliminate potential malware. Emails are not secure
and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses.
Anyone who communicates with us by email is taken to accept these risks. "

http://www.electrabel.be/homepage/general/disclaimer_EN.asp