Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ja...@za.didata.com on 2002/08/20 23:56:36 UTC

virtual hosting tomcat and apache

Hello all

Thank you RS for
http://mikal.org/interests/java/tomcat/archive/view?mesg=57650 . You partly
address my question. Unfortunately no one responded, I will presume that
indicates a correct answer.

My scenario:
I currently run a Server with Apache1.3 on Linux. Some of the virtual hosts
have separate Tomcat4.0 instances (one for each virtual host that requires
it) as servlet-containers. A few developers (10) make use of my server to
host their sites. Some of them only have html content and only use Apache.
Some of them have more than one site (virtual host) but only one virtual
host that requires a servlet-engine. Some of them require more than instance
of the servlet-engine.

What I have in mind is the following:
I plan to stick to Apache 1.3 for now and Tomcat 4.0 (I'm tempted to use
4.1, I really like the added features). I am trying to find the optimum
set-up with regards to performance and also resource requirements on the
server. I will use one instance of Apache1.3. I will use RedHat 7.3. Each
developer (that requires a servlet-engine) will have one instance of
Tomcat4. If a developer has more than one site that requires Tomcat I will
make use of Tomcat (virtual) hosts to cater for each host. I intend to use
mod_webapp (I am currently using mod_webapp).

My questions:
- Should I use mod_webapp or mod_jk (with JK 2 in mind) ?
- I'm using different instances of Tomcat for each developer for security
reasons. Would it be possible to share a tomcat instance between more
developers (without increasing the security risk) ?
- I'm sticking to Apache 1.3 because I'm more comfortable that the
connectors are working properly, I've read that the performance gains from
Apache2 isn't all that great on Linux, I'm comfortable that I can configure
Apache1.3.x. Should I consider upgrading to Apache2 or should I wait a while
for the connections between apache2 and tomcat4 to mature ?

Thank you for any-one interested in assisting me. I will gladly provide more
information if I've missed something. I also plan on documenting my new
set-up including .conf files and directory structures should any-one be
interested in reviewing my attempt.

Kind Regards
Jaco Smuts

btw. I can't seem to find a RedHat (V5 ?) boot up script that sufficiently
takes care of starting up Tomcat (as a designated user) and Apache in the
right sequence. I don't use rpm's but the one that comes with the Tomcat 4
rpm is probably the best I've seen up till now. But that forces me to
consider their file structure (fhs compliant, probably better but I find it
confusing - got lots to learn).

This message contains information intended solely for the addressee,
which is confidential or private in nature and subject to legal privilege.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not peruse, use,
disseminate, distribute or copy this message or any file attached to this
message. Any such unauthorised use is prohibited and may be unlawful. If
immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the
original message from your machine.

Furthermore, the information contained in this message, and any
attachments thereto, is for information purposes only and may contain the
personal views and opinions of the author, which are not necessarily the
views and opinions of Dimension Data (South Africa) (Proprietary) Limited
or is subsidiaries and associated companies ("Dimension Data"). Dimension
Data therefore does not accept liability for any claims, loss or damages
of whatsoever nature, arising as a result of the reliance on such
information by anyone.

Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and
integrity of information transmitted electronically and to preserve the
confidentiality thereof, Dimension Data accepts no liability or
responsibility whatsoever if information or data is, for whatsoever
reason, incorrect, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.