Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jens Kisters <j....@va-ro.com> on 2004/12/01 12:26:03 UTC

Character Spacing messed up even though environment is identical

Hello everybody,

i have an PDF that is generated using the same XSL:FO Template on the
same Machine using the same Versions of Java, the libaries, the fonts
and fop (
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_06-b03),
fop 0.20.5
)

The only difference in the xsl:fo Templates are three lines of plain
Text that are dependend on the user who generated the document.
The Third line that differs is not included in the screenshot, its a
date in the following block-container.
Nevertheless the PDF Output in a line of static text differs: One
version has a messed up spacing between "c" and "a" .
How can that be?

This Output is ok: http://www.db-central.de/jens/first.jpg
This is not: http://www.db-central.de/jens/second.jpg
The Red box shows whats wrong, the green box shows the dynamic elements.
First one used this xsl:fo
http://www.db-central.de/jens/first/12ba203a599955d85d9e399a313ecfe6_228
69.fo
Second one this:
http://www.db-central.de/jens/second/13523e22c4c9c4692a27fa7d21c20f72_22
650.fo
I compared them using a diff tool, they are identical, just the Names
are different.

The font Metrics file i generated using FOP is here:
http://www.db-central.de/jens/tahoma.xml

I noticed in another project the depending on the ttf font file used
character spacings were generally messed up, replacing the font file
(which worked fine under windows) seemed to do the trick.
(in this case we replaced the Univers Font File with its Corel
equivalent "Zurich").

Thanks in advance
Jens Kisters

Re: Character Spacing messed up even though environment is identical

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Jens Kisters wrote:
> i have an PDF that is generated using the same XSL:FO Template
> Nevertheless the PDF Output in a line of static text differs: One
> version has a messed up spacing between "c" and "a" .
> How can that be?

Is "spectrocampus" a single word, i.e. no embedded fo:wrapper
or such between the c and the a? If so, I'd blame either
- the PDF display program (Acrobat reader?)
- the OS glyph renderer
- a difference in screen positions, or even screen resolutions.

An interesting question would be how the PDF looks like. Convince
FOP to refrain from compressing PDF text objects (by adding
  <entry role="pdf">
     <key>stream-filter-list</key>
     <list/>
   </entry>
to the userconfig.xml), and search the PDFs for "spectrocampus"
which should now be in clear text.

J.Pietschmann