Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/18 09:49:35 UTC

Tomcat Performance Concerns

I have a simple JSP-application that makes use of an ODBC database
(access). When I run it using Tomcat on PC2 (XP) its performance is
very good. However, running on PC1 (W2K Server) is orders of
magnitudes slower! :-(

I have already read most of the relevant manuals and tried various
settings (server.xml, JAVA_OPTS, ...). No help.

Has anybody observed similiar problems?
Any help is appreciated...

Gaurav Singh Kushwaha
Ph: +91-9880101496
Bangalore, India.
http://www.chakpak.com

Re: Tomcat Performance Concerns

Posted by Len Popp <le...@gmail.com>.
Can you determine which part of the system is running slowly? One thing to
try would be a simplified version of your application that doesn't access
the database - if it is still slow then you know it's not related to the DB.
You could also add logging messages at various points to measure how long
different parts of the application take. That will tell you what operation
is taking all the time. (I can't think of any particular reason why Win 2000
would be so much slower than Win XP.)

Also, make sure you're allocating a good amount of memory for the JVM on the
slow machine, so it doesn't spend all its time in garbage collection.

As for the Access database, I've used Access on a development machine with
no problems. (I used the Access ODBC driver and Sun's JDBC-ODBC bridge.)
Performance definitely wasn't as good as MySQL or SQL Server, but it was
fine for development and testing.
--
Len

Posted by David Rees <dr...@gmail.com>.
On 11/21/06, Andre Prasetya <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/21/06, Harry <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > PostgreSQL is excellent, IMHO - fast, and easy to administrate.
> Yupe agreed, but for database that is used with frequent insert and delete
> statement, I have to vacuum them frequently. Which is a boring task to do. I
> created an agent that will vacuum the database every friday. Then I move it
> to MySql because I think its more suited to my needs.

PostgreSQL has had autovacuum integrated into version 8.1 and newer
(released almost a year ago now), so saying you need to autovacuum is
no longer an argument against using Postgres.

-Dave

Re: Tomcat Performance Concerns

Posted by Andre Prasetya <an...@gmail.com>.
Yupe agreed, but for database that is used with frequent insert and delete
statement, I have to vacuum them frequently. Which is a boring task to do. I
created an agent that will vacuum the database every friday. Then I move it
to MySql because I think its more suited to my needs.

-Andre-

On 11/21/06, Harry <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> > systems, but rather than start a flame war, I'll say that just for
> > completeness you should probably look into postgresql and firebird or
> > one of their object-oriented cousins like db4o (dual licenced, if I'm
> > not mistaking).
>
> PostgreSQL is excellent, IMHO - fast, and easy to administrate.
>
> Harry Mantheakis

-Andre-

PCs are like air conditioner, if you open Windows, they don't work

Re: Tomcat Performance Concerns

Posted by Harry <ha...@mantheakis.freeserve.co.uk>.

Posted by Tomi NA <he...@gmail.com>.
2006/11/19, Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks Martin and Everyone else for the suggestions.
> Martin, Oracle I dont want to go with since its expensive. I will infact try
> out MySQL and will let you guys know.

I would argue that you chose one of the inferior database management
systems, but rather than start a flame war, I'll say that just for
completeness you should probably look into postgresql and firebird or
one of their object-oriented cousins like db4o (dual licenced, if I'm
not mistaking).
A lot more could be said on the topic, but this is a much, much better
start than the initial extreme...well, extremes (Access and Oracle).

Cheers,
t.n.a.

Re: Tomcat Performance Concerns

Posted by Gaurav Kushwaha <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Martin and Everyone else for the suggestions.
Martin, Oracle I dont want to go with since its expensive. I will infact try
out MySQL and will let you guys know.

Regards,
Gaurav.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
You can purchase Oracle Lite 32 concurrent connections with transaction support for 90.00 thru University of Wisconsin
http://wwwtest.techstore.doit.wisc.edu/product.asp?itemnum=C13093&login=D

Oracle Lite Doc available at
http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/html/A97672_01/wn32db.htm

There are a ton of sites to get oracle information from one of the most frequently visited sites is Oracles AskTom
http://asktom.oracle.com

One of the best sites for DBA oracle resources is Don Burleson's site located at
http://www.dba-oracle.com/articles.htm

HTH,
Martin --
Oracle has alot of bells and whistles which you can add on as needed but an out of the box
This e-mail communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the
designated recipients named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution or copying of it or its
contents
Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.