Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by kmoens <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2012/04/19 12:47:32 UTC

Kar file deploy issue

Hi,

My goal is to have some custom bundles that I grouped in a KAR file and want
them to be available when my karaf instance boots.

mykar.kar contains:

mykar-features-1.0.xml
mybundle1.jar
mybundle2.jar

Content of mykar-features-1.0.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<features>
<feature name="mykar" version="1.0">
<bundle>file:mybundle1.jar</bundle>
<bundle>file:mybundle2.jar</bundle>
</feature>
</features>

The first attempt was to see what happens if I deploy the KAR file to the
instance deploy folder:
The KAR file contents (features file and both jars) get extracted under the
instances/myinst/system folder root level, that's it. Nothing further
happens :(

In the log file I observe that the KarArtifactInstaller displays "Found a
.kar file to deploy" and then "Installing KAR file ..."

I would expect to have my bundles available, features:list do not show them.

What am I missing?

Using karaf 2.2.5

Thanks for any advise on this.

BRs,
Kris

Re: Kar file deploy issue

Posted by kmoens <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Appreciate your advice JB!

Re: Kar file deploy issue

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Kris,

If you really want to use a file URL, you should use an absolute path
(file:c:\\... for instance).

However, my advice is more to use a Maven URL
(mvn:groupId/artifactId/...) and populate the Kar file with the artifact
(it's the purpose of the Kar artifact).

Regards
JB

On 04/23/2012 10:52 AM, kmoens wrote:
> Thanks JB,
>
> I fixed my KAR file having the correct Maven like structure and now it is
> getting deployed.
> I had to fix my features file as well. The KarArtifactInstaller froze
> because of an accidental blank line at the top of the features.xml.
>
> I have another question related.
> In my features file I want to use the file: handler so I can point to a
> location on my file system that has multiple bundles.
>
> The documentation states:
> <bundle>file:base/bundles/spring-web-2.5.6.SEC01.jar</bundle>
>
>  From the above example where should this jar be located on my windows file
> system?
> Is it something like c:\base\bundles\spring-web-2.5.6.SEC01.jar or
> [KARAF_HOME]\bundles\... ???
>
> I have tried a few times to match my extracted bundles to a file location in
> the features file but always get: Unable to install Kar feature mykar/1.0.0
> followed by java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> com\mycomp\bundles\reports\mybundle-1.0.0.jar (The system cannot find the
> path specified)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kris

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: Kar file deploy issue

Posted by kmoens <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks JB,

Re: Kar file deploy issue

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Kris,

Is your Kar contains a repository folder ?

To be valid, the kar should ship a Maven like structure in a repository
folder. For instance:

repository/groupId/artifactId/version/artifact-version.jar
repository/groupId/artifactId/version/features-features.xml
etc

The create-kar goal in the features-maven-plugin do it for you (starting
from a features XML).

Regards
JB

On 04/19/2012 12:47 PM, kmoens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My goal is to have some custom bundles that I grouped in a KAR file and want
> them to be available when my karaf instance boots.
>
> mykar.kar contains:
>
> mykar-features-1.0.xml
> mybundle1.jar
> mybundle2.jar
>
> Content of mykar-features-1.0.xml:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <features>
> <feature name="mykar" version="1.0">
> <bundle>file:mybundle1.jar</bundle>
> <bundle>file:mybundle2.jar</bundle>
> </feature>
> </features>
>
> The first attempt was to see what happens if I deploy the KAR file to the
> instance deploy folder:
> The KAR file contents (features file and both jars) get extracted under the
> instances/myinst/system folder root level, that's it. Nothing further
> happens :(
>
> In the log file I observe that the KarArtifactInstaller displays "Found a
> .kar file to deploy" and then "Installing KAR file ..."
>
> I would expect to have my bundles available, features:list do not show them.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Using karaf 2.2.5
>
> Thanks for any advise on this.
>
> BRs,